Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

March 8th, 2012 11:00

Latitude E6420 w/External Display Laptop display dead

We have a brand new Latitude E6420.  Actually we have lots of them.

We're a Windows XP shop... so the first thing we do is wipe out Win-7 and install WinXP.  Then we proceed to install drivers and our our typical software.  This works fine on lots of laptops.

We did this particular laptop with an external display attached through a docking station.

Now, there's no display on the laptop's own display.  Even the BIOS screen never appears on the laptop display.  Its all on the external display.  Seems like the system has forgotten that there is a native display.  I see the screen back light come on for a bit, then turn off... but nothing appears on the laptop display.

I can't figure any way to get the laptop display working again.  I've been through the BIOS (on the external display) and don't see any germane setting.

Any suggestion before I call support?

Thanks.

Steve Pitcher / Big Cypress National Preserve /  IT Volunteer.

9 Posts

June 9th, 2012 04:00

have you tried toggling the display between the monitor and lcd, press f/n and f8 keys

when you install xp, or any other OS, never have anything plugged in externally, it will usually corrupt the installation

power off, remove it from the dock,  hold press the power button and the D key at the same time, this will initiate the lcd built in selftest, LCDBIST, you should see clear solid colors

No Events found!