Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

October 3rd, 2012 04:00

Latitude E6430 BIOS Downgrade

Hi Everyone!

Last weekend I downloaded the new BIOS version A06 for my Latitude E6430 from Dell's driver site. Installed it and most everything works fine, but when the laptop is connected to the docking station the external monitor doesn't show any boot screen until windows begins to load. So the pre-boot login screen isn't visible to me :emotion-6:

A day later version A06 wasn't available on the dell site but A03 release again. Tried to downgrade vom A06 to A06 in order to solve my PBA problem, but the firmware doesn't install on my system. This is the error message I receive: "Firmware Downgrading blocked: Security features are enabled".

Is there any way to downgrade BIOS without changing the mainboard?!?

Thank you for your help!

Stargoose

3 Apprentice

• 

710 Posts

November 17th, 2012 00:00

Hi Stargoose,

Thank you for your response. Since both the issues that you're experiencing are with the same unit and are both related to the motherboard, it is likely that we may have to go for part replacement again. Please share if using the laptop with and without the docking station impacts the fan noise in any way.

I have escalated the matter to the engineering team and would get back to you as soon as we have some conclusive results. I apologize for the turn around time; would get back to you.

Do reply if you have any further questions. Glad to assist.

17 Posts

November 18th, 2012 00:00

I've been running the laptop with and without the docking station for a couple of days. It seems that there's no difference concerning the fan noise...so the motherboard replacement is the only way getting BIOS back to A03?

3 Apprentice

• 

710 Posts

November 20th, 2012 01:00

Hi Stargoose,

Thank you for your response. I see that your docking station has been replaced by Dell. I am checking if the issue related to the docking station is fixed after its replacement (If you've tried that so far).

I have added you as a friend. Please accept my friend request by clicking on my name highlighted in blue and then click on 'Friends' tab at the top and then click on 'Request to Review' and finally click on 'Accept' button.

I am sending you a private message as well. Click on 'Inbox' to respond to the message and provide the following information so I may access your system records and check for further course of action. You could also click on Start Conversation to send a private message.

Please share the following details:
1. System's Service Tag
2. Account Holder's name (As in Dell records)
3. Phone number
4. Alternate phone number
5. Country where the laptop was purchased
6. Currently shipping address
7. Best time to reach you through phone (Time zone detail)

Do reply if you have any further questions. I would be glad to assist.

3 Apprentice

• 

710 Posts

November 20th, 2012 01:00

Hi 6430,

I have added you as a friend. Please accept my friend request by clicking on my name highlighted in blue and then click on 'Friends' tab at the top and then click on 'Request to Review' and finally click on 'Accept' button.

I am sending you a private message as well. Click on 'Inbox' to respond to the message and provide the following information so I may access your system records and check for further course of action. You could also click on Start Conversation to send a private message.

Please share the following details:
1. System's Service Tag
2. Account Holder's name (As in Dell records)
3. Phone number
4. Alternate phone number
5. Country where the laptop was purchased
6. Currently shipping address
7. Best time to reach you through phone (Time zone detail)

Do reply if you have any further questions. I would be glad to assist.

1 Message

November 30th, 2012 01:00

Hi ALL

Dell replaced my E6420 with a E6430 for the exact reason. Yet the E6430 does the identical thing. I am horrified that Dell are SO slack at fixing this issue. We utilise the BIOS security features and when its in the Docking station I cant even enter my password. I am going to Hold Dell liable for any loss of Data should the Laptop be stolen as I cant utilise the security features. I wish I could email Michel Dell directly and tell him the experience I have had with Dell over the last months trying to resolve the issues. If Dell issue faulty BIOS then they must come up with a solution or give me a Fix.

Our company has over 300 Dell machines in the office. Maybe its time to move to HP !

12 Posts

January 28th, 2013 00:00

Hi,

I will reply to that:

when the laptop is connected to the docking station the external monitor doesn't show any boot screen until windows begins to load. So the pre-boot login screen isn't visible to me.

Basically, we are having the same issues in our company with E6430 and Dell Docking station PR02x.

1) Ignore the downgrading firmare, that is really silly and a poor workaround for people who have no ideas on troubleshooting.

Only consider firware downgrade if you know that the "release notes" of that firmware version mention a fix. In other words, check the "known issues" and fixes in every versions.

2) Ignore the hardware issue, I certainly doubt it, especially that some claims that an earlier firmware version did not have the issue.  Of course a new hardware might have different instructions and therefore might not have the bug, but really, then let's change entirely the hardware (replace your laptop by a car) and then successfully congratulate yourself: Yeah I no longer have the issue (with the car)... it's not troubleshooting at all.

3) What additional software do you have? Because in my company we uses PGP and it seems to be a possible root cause:

Have a look:

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH192522

Extracts:

Problem

When using PGP Whole Disk Encryption, during boot, the external monitor connected via DVI-D cable does not activate to show the PGP BootGuard log on screen.

Environment

Dell E Series laptops while docking in the docking station

PGP Desktop 10.2.x

So we really talking about almost same issue, same hardware...

That's it.

12 Posts

February 4th, 2013 01:00

Hi,

Update:

Tried some of the "known workarounds", but no luck:

I put vga and dvi; restarted computer. -> still black.

Press Function-F8 on the keyboard (when both DVI and VGA is plugged in, only the VGA cable gets the video signal).

Still black on external screen.

I understood that "when both DVI and VGA is plugged in, only the VGA cable gets the video signal", so I assumed it was as "Connect using standard VGA cable.". Then I unplugged dvi, restarted, still black.

So maybe issue is somewhere else....

Reminder: we have  E6430 and Dell Docking station PR02x and pgp-

12 Posts

March 8th, 2013 05:00

Hi,

Update: workaround of disabling "optimus" in the Bios, worked.

So I guess it's a driver/NVidia issue as symantec claimed...

I am looking for the latest dell's drivers release note for the NVS 5200M...To see if any information is available.

But it's definitely linked, I disabled optimus, restarted the docked laptop and immediately see the output on the external screen connected with DVI.

(resolutions was bad and It was trying to download graphic drivers from the web, it seems it had discarded normal dell nvidia drivers).

1 Message

June 13th, 2013 02:00

I got Dell Latitude E6430

Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-3720QM CPU @ 2.60GHz  2.60GHz  and 8GB (RAM)

I have overheating problem in my brand new Latitude E6430. When it's start runing after 25-30mins temperature reaching 60-70 degrees celsius.

Do you have any suggestion ?

Thanks 

20 Posts

May 7th, 2016 16:00

where is the Deactivate Computrace Beside ı am new Dell 7559 user.

No Events found!