Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

July 9th, 2014 10:00

Latitude E6430

Hello to all,

I have a Dell Latitude E6430 with about 1 year old. I bought it new and I have a issue that I would like to know if someone found the same problem.

Yesterday I wanted to activated the BitLocked encryption in my Windows however when I went to the bios to activate the TPM security it is blocked with a "admin password" and I cannot do nothing on the bios.

I tried all the passwords that I know and I searched on the user manual looking for a default password and I couldn't any. What I think that is strange is the fact that seems that this password isn't defined from factory so I was wondering if this laptop was sold as "a brand new" laptop when it isn't. I'm asking this because it was the 1st time that I went to bios, I can access to it but I cannot do anything else.

Someone knows if Dell can confirm this situation? Is it easy to reset this password? Is it Dell able to do it?

Thank you.

9 Legend

• 

87.5K Posts

July 9th, 2014 11:00

The TPM can be reset by Dell upon verification of ownership of the system.  If you bought it other than from Dell, be sure you register the system in your name before calling (if it was sold at retail see below;  if you purchased it from a third party, you will need to contact them to have the system transferred into your name).

http://www.dell.com/support/retail/us/en/19/Register

8 Posts

July 10th, 2014 03:00

Hi ejn63,

Thank you for your reply.
Basically if I prove that I'm the legitimate owner of the laptop, DELL it will be able to reset all BIOS password? I'm talking about the "Administrative password" also called (according what I'm seeing in BIOS) the "setup password". I'm able to enter the bios correctly but I cannot do anything else.

Thanks again.

Regards.

No Events found!