Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

M

March 5th, 2014 14:00

Latitude E6440 Fan runs constantly

I just got a new Latitude E6440. Overall I love the system, but when it is docked / on AC power, I have noticed that I can almost constantly hear the fan. Right now my CPU is only at 6% but I can hear the fan running. Is that just normal behavior with this system? Does it just have a louder fan that runs more often? I just upgraded from an E6410 and I don't recall ever hearing the fan. 

I am running Windows 8.1 Pro, and it is a brand-new install. I ran diagnostics and did not find any issues. Anyone else noticed anything similar? 

30 Posts

April 28th, 2014 15:00

Same problem here- except it doesn't matter whether power is on battery or AC.

Running Win 7 Pro 64-bit and this just started a couple of weeks ago.

June 2nd, 2014 08:00

Hi, Not sure if this will help, I had the same issue with Latitude E6440 we bought last month. I've worked with a few of these E6440s and none had this problem with a noisey spinning fan. It chews up the battery power too if left spinning on high speed. I tried updating the BIOs and checking drivers. To no avail - fan was spinning at full speed from the moment I turn the laptop on. Eventually, I took a look inside the unit - and found that the cpu fan was not connected properly to the motherboard. After reseating the cable - the fan ran normally. Perhaps you can ask Dell engineers to help you with this? warm regards, Pete

130 Posts

January 1st, 2015 08:00

Sorry to say this is common with recent Dell's, I have an E5440 and have been moaning about similar problems for months without a single response from Dell:

http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/laptop/f/3518/t/19593697

The previous E5430 also received a lot of complaints and seemingly never resolved:

http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/laptop/f/3518/t/19480918

The fan might be off for short periods but otherwise droning at 3,000rpm for hours and hours... The only way to stop it is leave the machine completely idle for 10 minutes.  Absolutely ridiculous behaviour for a business laptop that might be in use for 8+ hours a day.

If you haven't thrown the machine out of the window or sold it I say keep complaining here and maybe we'll get some action.

No Events found!