Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

S

January 23rd, 2015 08:00

Latitude E6540 BIOS update A12 breaks external monitor support during boot

I have my laptop in a dock with external monitors a lot of the time. Before BIOS update A12, powering on while docked would show the entire boot sequence on the external monitors:

1. Dell logo
2. POST information
3. Prompt for SecureDoc (disk encryption) password
4. Windows boot screen

After updating to BIOS A12, I don't see anything on the monitors at all. They indicate no signal as if the laptop is still powered off.

When I undock the machine and open the built in display I see that it is waiting for my SecureDoc password. After entering that I can dock again and see the Windows boot screen.

I don't know if it matters, but my machine has Intel HD Graphics 4600 and an AMD Radeon HD 8790M.

Is this the right place to report this bug or is there another feedback form somewhere?

5 Posts

February 6th, 2015 07:00

Anyone else having this issue? Can someone at Dell acknowledge that they've seen this report?

5 Posts

March 4th, 2015 06:00

Where should I report this bug?

4 Operator

• 

3.5K Posts

April 6th, 2015 10:00

I just saw your post, I apologize for the delay in responding to you.

I checked and see that A13 is currently available,  you may wish to give it a try and see if you are still unable to view any pre Windows booting screens while docked.  Please reply back here if you notice no difference and I will see if I can verify if this is working as designed or not.

TB

5 Posts

April 6th, 2015 10:00

Just checking one more time... How should I report this bug to Dell?

5 Posts

April 6th, 2015 14:00

BIOS release A13 fixed my problem even though it wasn't mentioned in the release notes. Thanks for pointing it out!

4 Operator

• 

3.5K Posts

April 6th, 2015 14:00

Thank you for the update, I am glad that the BIOS update corrected the problem.

TB

No Events found!