Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

R

October 1st, 2017 16:00

Latitude E7440 ultrabook - only VGA from mini DisplayPort from 3-in-1 adapter

I have a Dell Latitude E7440 ultrabook running Windows 10 x64 version 1607

I bought a 3-port mini DisplayPort adapter to allow me to connect up a DVI-D monitor or a VGA device.

I find that the adapter only works if I connect a VGA monitor and that its DVI (A or D) and HDMI outputs produce nothing - no device is detected under any scenario - hot-plug/re-boot connected/connected on driver re-install

The support matrix of the Intel HD4400 graphics on this model is unclear - I can't find any support info that describes exactly what type of monitor the mDP port can drive and under what connection scenarios.

I presume that it must support DisplayPort monitors without an adapter and that it also supports VGA via an adaptor to meet the requirement to deploy to older projectors.

However, it is marketed and badged as having a dual-mode Display Port, so should support single DVI-D and HDMI lanes to be compliant with the DisplayPort spec. - yet it appears not to.

I have the latest Dell version of the Intel video driver installed - which, at the time of writing, is

Video_Driver_G7Y13_WN32_20.19.15.4531_A05

I tried to install a newer vanilla-Intel version of

win64_154036.4703

but the installer failed with an error message about the manufacturer requiring modified drivers, so I did not pursue the matter further. I don't want to lose functionality by trying a non-Dell version.

The separate HDMI port will drive an HDMI monitor (LG W2261V)

I have the latest BIOS.

Community Manager

• 

54.3K Posts

October 2nd, 2017 11:00

So I can see the specifications, manuals, etc. link to the specific 3-port mini DisplayPort adapter.

List all available video in ports on both monitors.

We sold the 2013 Latitude E7440 with the Dell Wireless Dock D5000 which supports one DP (DisplayPort) 1.1 and one HDMI 1.3. So in theory, the Latitude E7440 Intel HD4400 should support two external monitors.

A quick test would be to test two monitors directly from the Latitude E7440 =

Latitude E7440 mDP out port --> mDP to mDP cable --> Monitor mDP in port
Latitude E7440 mDP out port --> mDP to DP cable --> Monitor DP in port

Latitude E7440 HDMI out port --> HDMI to HDMI cable --> Monitor HDMI in port

If both monitors functioned directly to the Latitude E7440, then the culprit has to be 3-port mini DisplayPort adapter.

6 Posts

October 2nd, 2017 13:00

spec here

www.ebay.co.uk/.../121689120180

Monitors tested LG W2261V (single-mode DVI-D 1.0, HDMI, VGA), Samsung GH17MS (single-mode DVI-D, VGA)

I have no DisplayPort monitors, so I can't do your suggested cable-only tests.

I agree, I can't eliminate a faulty 3-port adaptor, but it is working as an active converter at some level in order to produce an analogue VGA signal. It is the stuff that could be managed with a passive adapter only that doesn't work.

If you can state whether the mDP port is actually capable of producing a DVI-D or HDMI output on this model, it would save some time.

4 Operator

• 

14K Posts

October 2nd, 2017 16:00

Here's the story.  Many DisplayPort outputs built into systems support "Dual Mode DisplayPort", indicated by a DP++ logo on the output.  That means that the port can fall back to native DVI/HDMI signalling instead of native DisplayPort, which in turns allows for cheap DisplayPort to DVI/HDMI adapters.  These adapters are called "passive" adapters because they don't do anything other than remap pins and pass through the signal they receive from the PC, since the PC is natively outputting the desired signal.  However, some DisplayPort MST hubs (the technical term for your 3-port device) do NOT support Dual Mode DisplayPort; they will only output a native DisplayPort signal.  The reason the VGA adapter works is because it an "active" adapter, which means there is a chip inside the adapter that accepts a native DisplayPort signal and converts it to VGA rather than relying on the host to fall back to VGA.  ALL DisplayPort to VGA adapters are active adapters because DisplayPort has NEVER natively supported VGA signalling, but MOST DisplayPort to DVI/HDMI adapters are passive because most DisplayPort outputs CAN natively output DVI/HDMI.

If you want DVI/HDMI to work with your MST hub, you need to either purchase an MST hub that specifically indicates support for DP++, Dual Mode DisplayPort, or "all HDMI/DVI adapters", or you can purchase ACTIVE DisplayPort to DVI/HDMI adapters.  They are a bit less common and a bit more expensive because of the extra chip that's required, but they will work.

4 Operator

• 

14K Posts

October 2nd, 2017 16:00

Never mind, I missed the line where you said that "it (I presume the adapter you have?) is marketed as supporting Dual Mode DisplayPort".  In that case I'm not sure what to tell you.  DisplayPort MST can be a bit finicky at times.  One thing you can try is updating firmware for the MST hub built into the E7440 itself.  It's available on support.dell.com.  It's called "Synaptics MST" or something along those lines. You will need a VGA or DVI/HDMI display connected via DisplayPort adapter for the update to run properly.

6 Posts

October 2nd, 2017 18:00

no, the "it" I was referring to is the laptop - the mDP port on the E7440 is clearly marked with the logo of the Dual-mode DisplayPort (image attached)

I don't own a Dell dock, so reading the release notes for the Video_Firmware_TGJCH_WN32_2.31.0_A07 update left me unsure whether there was any functionality to be updated relating to the E7440's built-in ports.

Anyway, at your suggestion, I tried to do the firmware update - it failed to install - no idea why - no clue in the dialog or the log...

[10/03/17 00:50:07]    Update Package Execution Started
[10/03/17 00:50:07]    Original command line: "C:\Users\x\Downloads\FIRST INSTALL\Dell E7440 laptop\Win10 64-bit drivers\Video_Firmware_TGJCH_WN32_2.31.0_A07.EXE"
[10/03/17 00:50:07]    DUP Framework EXE Version: 3.4.4.39
[10/03/17 00:50:07]    DUP Release: TGJCHA07
[10/03/17 00:50:07]    Initializing framework...
[10/03/17 00:50:07]    Data in smbios table is (hex)value = 9 , Chasis type (hex)value = 9 , System type is : Client
[10/03/17 00:50:10]    logo.png
[10/03/17 00:50:19]    User Command: attended
[10/03/17 00:50:19]    DUP Capabilities Value: 2097151 (0x1FFFFF)
[10/03/17 00:50:19]    DUP Vendor Software Version: 2.31.0
[10/03/17 00:50:19]    System ID:  05CB
[10/03/17 00:50:19]    System model description:  Latitude E7440
[10/03/17 00:50:19]    Match found: E7440 (05CB)
[10/03/17 00:50:19]    Local System/Model Compatible with this Package? Yes
[10/03/17 00:50:19]    Local System OS Version: 10.0.0.0
[10/03/17 00:50:19]    OS Compatible with this Package? Unknown
[10/03/17 00:50:19]    Local System OS Language: Unknown
[10/03/17 00:50:19]    Language Compatible with this Package? Unknown
[10/03/17 00:50:19]    Extraction-miniunz path: C:\PROGRA~3\dell\drivers\VIDEO_~1.0_A\miniunz.exe
[10/03/17 00:50:19]    Extraction-arguments:  -x C:\Users\x\DOWNLO~1\FIRSTI~1\DELLE7~1\WIN106~1\VIDEO_~1.EXE -o -d C:\PROGRA~3\dell\drivers\VIDEO_~1.0_A
[10/03/17 00:50:19]    Extraction-GetExitCode: 0
[10/03/17 00:50:19]    Identified Behavior : attended
[10/03/17 00:50:19]    Temporary payload log file name: C:\ProgramData\dell\drivers\Video_Firmware_TGJCH_WN32_2.31.0_A07\DUP91A1.tmp
[10/03/17 00:50:19]    Translated Command Line : UpdateTool_E7x40_ver2_31_000.exe -rp  
[10/03/17 00:50:19]    Path : C:\ProgramData\dell\drivers\Video_Firmware_TGJCH_WN32_2.31.0_A07
[10/03/17 00:50:19]    Identified Behavior : attended
[10/03/17 00:50:20]    Append Vendor Software Log: C:\ProgramData\dell\drivers\Video_Firmware_TGJCH_WN32_2.31.0_A07\DUP91A1.tmp
[10/03/17 00:50:20]    
--- Start of Vendor Software Log ---

[10/03/17 00:50:20]    
--- End of Vendor Software Log ---

[10/03/17 00:50:20]    Vendor Software Return Code: 255
[10/03/17 00:50:20]    logo.png
[10/03/17 00:50:20]    (MUPXMLParser::GetResultName): *** Vendor Return Code is not found in Mup.xml
[10/03/17 00:50:20]    Name of Exit Code:
[10/03/17 00:50:20]    (DupAPI::GetReturnCode): *** Unable to find DUP value for:
[10/03/17 00:50:20]    Exit Code set to: 1 (0x1)
[10/03/17 00:50:20]    Result: FAILURE
[10/03/17 00:50:30]    Open file: C:\ProgramData\Dell\UpdatePackage\Log\Video_Firmware_TGJCH_WN32_2.31.0_A07.txt

1 Attachment

6 Posts

October 2nd, 2017 18:00

an addendum to your suggested installation of video firmware update

The Dell support installation instructions for the E7440 ( although outdated and referring to a different model) here

http://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/19/drivers/driversdetails?driverId=TGJCH&fileId=3574921415&osCode=WT64A&productCode=latitude-e7440-ultrabook&languageCode=en&categoryId=VI

state...

Prepare system:
For Latitude E5540 and E5440
[NOTE: This update is only for E5540/E5440 configurations that include a dock/APR. If your configuation does not include a dock/APR, this update is not for you, do not proceed]
1. Notebook system must be docked and on a/c power.
2. Notebook system must have an external display connected to the dock (can be VGA, DisplayPort or DVI monitor)

As I said, I don't have a dock, so it looks like I was right to ignore the Synaptics VMM2320 MST Firmware Update and my problem remains unsolved.

Where is the MST hub hardware physically located anyway ? in the laptop or in the dock ?

No-one from Dell has yet said whether this model's dual-mode mDP port can produce HDMI or DVI-D

4 Operator

• 

14K Posts

October 2nd, 2017 20:00

Assuming the output side of your MST hub uses full-size DisplayPort rather than mini-DisplayPort, I tried to post Amazon links to suitable HDMI and DVI adapters from quality manufacturers, but my post got stuck in some moderator approval queue.  But searching these terms on Amazon should get you there:

DVI: Cable Matters Gold Plated Active DisplayPort to DVI Male to Female Adapter - Eyefinity Compatible

HDMI: Plugable Active DisplayPort to HDMI 2.0 Adapter (Supports displays up to 4K / UHD / 3840x2160@60Hz)

4 Operator

• 

14K Posts

Assuming that the output side of the MST hub uses full-size DisplayPort rather than mini-DisplayPort, here are links to suitable DVI and HDMI adapters from quality manufacturers:

HDMI: www.amazon.com/.../

DVI: www.amazon.com/.../

4 Operator

• 

14K Posts

Ok, then I'm back to my original answer.  Your PC's Dual Mode DisplayPort support means you should be able to connect any HDMI/DVI adapter (even a passive one) directly to the PC and get output to a display, but Dual Mode DisplayPort support cannot "pass through" an MST hub to hub's outputs.  The way an MST hub works is that the PC always sends a native DisplayPort signal to the hub, and from the PC's perspective, its job is done.  It doesn't care or even know if the signal is being converted to some other type on the other side of the hub, but the hub (or an active adapter) would have to do that.  It actually HAS to work this way because DisplayPort is the only signal type that's packetized, which makes it the only signal type that supports multiple displays driven from a single output, so if you want to drive multiple displays from that one output, the signal leaving the PC must be native DisplayPort. If it were native HDMI or DVI, then that output wouldn't be able to support multiple displays anymore (it's not possible to run DisplayPort and DVI/HDMI simultaneously on the same output). This is why there aren't any adapters to drive multiple displays off of a regular DVI or HDMI output, except for splitters that mirror the same original signal out of multiple outputs.

The reason you can mix those output signal types on the OTHER side of the MST hub is because the hub separates the multi-stream DisplayPort signal out into independent single streams, one per output, at which point each of those outputs can be handled separately. On the output side of the hub, there's no longer a requirement to carry multiple display signals on the same output (unless you had another DisplayPort MST hub downstream of the first one, I guess, in which case you'd have to maintain DisplayPort for that particular connection.)

So again, in your case, just get some active DisplayPort to HDMI/DVI adapters and you'll be good to go.

Community Manager

• 

54.3K Posts

October 3rd, 2017 06:00

We offer this mDP to DVI-D DL 2560x1600 active adapter and it list as compatible with the Latitude E7440. Based on that, the Latitude E7440 mDP port can output to DVI-D DL.

This mDP to HDMI active adapter only goes to 1920x1080. But, it shows your system as compatible, again showing that the Latitude E7440 mDP port can output to HDMI.

4 Operator

• 

14K Posts

October 3rd, 2017 07:00

Another alternative that may be more cost-effective if you can return your existing MST hub: Buy a different MST hub that natively supports Dual Mode DisplayPort on its outputs, in which case you can continue using passive adapters.  The StarTech MSTMDP124DP is one such hub.  I know you only need 3 outputs, but that quad-port hub at least on Amazon is going for the same price as the 3-port version and Amazon itself has it in stock, whereas only third-party sellers are stocking the 3-port version.  But you can see in the FAQ on the product page that they specifically say passive adapters can be used.

(Edited to correct model name. The originally posted model had a full-size DisplayPort input connector; the correct model name now posted uses a mini-DisplayPort connector on the input side.)

4 Operator

• 

14K Posts

October 3rd, 2017 15:00

And yes, you were right about the Synaptics MST hub firmware not being applicable here.  That does appear to be something that only applies to displays driven through an E-Dock.  My apologies for the confusion there, but hopefully I've made up for it with my previous posts, two of which I've marked as suggested solutions based on the information you've provided.

The MST hub targeted by that firmware package does reside in the system, however, not the dock.  The E-Dock itself has very little inside it, which is possible because it interfaces with the laptop over a connector that has over 200 pins. That high pin count exists because each individual pin on every connector built into the dock is wired directly back into the system -- so for example, the dock's Ethernet connector is just a dumb connector with the necessary pins, while the Ethernet controller chip is inside the system on the internal side of that huge complicated dock connector.  This is why E-Docks docks do not require any drivers beyond what's necessary for the system's internal hardware -- but it also makes these docks proprietary and increases the required hardware inside the docked system. Every Dell system that supports an E-Dock must have an Ethernet controller chip built into it in order to drive the Ethernet connector on the dock (even if there isn't an Ethernet connector available on the system itself), and that controller must be wired to the dock connector in the expected way.

By contrast, newer docks that use USB-C/Thunderbolt 3 have the actual controller chips for things like Ethernet and audio built into them, which then package their data as USB/Thunderbolt traffic back to the docked system.  This means those docks DO require drivers for their built-in controllers, but it also means that they don't require any hardware to exist in the docked system other than an appropriate connector.  A USB-C/Thunderbolt 3 dock that has an Ethernet connector does not require any Ethernet controller to be built into the system itself in order to function.  This design also makes for a much simpler connector with a lower pin count, since you're just carrying raw USB+video (or raw Thunderbolt 3) rather than raw Ethernet plus raw audio plus raw USB plus raw serial/parallel port traffic, etc.

No Events found!