Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

May 21st, 2009 06:00

Latitude XT2 – Mobile Broadband

Hi,

I just received my new XT2 tablet, it is impressive and I am happy with it :emotion-21:. I noticed that there is a place for a SIM card underneath the battery; does this mean my tablet supports mobile broadband although I did not order that particular feature?! I am thinking of ordering that add-on if it is not installed, but I am not sure how am I going to install it.

Can I use the mobile broadband outside the US? Or is it locked and work with a particular network only?

thnx

9 Legend

• 

87.5K Posts

May 21st, 2009 06:00

You'll need to buy a WWAN card compatible with your service provider, which should then provide you with a SIM card you can use with the system.

In the US, the only service for which Dell sells a card comaptible with a SIM is for AT&T -- the other two US carriers - Sprint and Verizon - do not use SIM cards.  You'll need to check with your provider to find out what they support, and what Dell sells in your location.

5 Posts

May 21st, 2009 08:00

Thnx for the reply. I was able to insert my data sim card, so there is a place for it already. If I obtained the required add-on, where shall I place it? I am planning to order several accessories for my tablet...I will use my tablet in Saudi Arabia...

regards,

9 Legend

• 

87.5K Posts

May 21st, 2009 10:00

Look for the WWAN card socket:

http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/latxt2/en/SM/parts.htm

9 Legend

• 

87.5K Posts

May 21st, 2009 14:00

Check to see if the antenna connections are there.  If they are you're all set.  If not, you'll need an external USB adapter.  I can't recommend anything - you need to check to see what your service provider supports.

5 Posts

May 21st, 2009 14:00

thnx

my xt2 came w/o wwan. Do I need an antenna also, or just the wwan card? Do you recommend the GOBI card?

9 Legend

• 

87.5K Posts

May 21st, 2009 18:00

They likely are antenna wires.  I would not buy anything without verifying it'll work with your service provider - if they won't activate it, you will have wasted the purchase cost.

5 Posts

May 21st, 2009 18:00

It seems there are 3 detached wires, which could be for the antenna. Regarding my service provider, i am not sure if they can help. I was looking for some generic wwan that supports 3G networks...

btw, thns for the help...

3 Posts

August 27th, 2009 08:00

As a sidenote, both Sprint and Verizon now provide SIM cards for international access, thru the GOBI card (5600).  Interestingly, the GOBI card also allows for all Dell-partnered mobile broadband providers.  The partner can be selected, thus no more need to replace the modem when the provider changes.  Dell Control Point Connection Manager is the required utility for connect.

For more info, please see http://dell.webhop.net

tks, Dennis

No Events found!