Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

June 15th, 2010 13:00

Latitude XT2 random mouse movements

Hello,

We recently purchased a Latitude XT2 for one of our users who does studies out in the 'field.' Since we didn't have an image already for this model, I decided to use the factory load that was shipped with it.

Side NoteI had originally spoke with Dell Chat before the deployment because the factory build didn't have the N-trig driver installed, which wouldn't allow me to utilize either the pen or the touch screen. I was given the latest N-trig driver, installed it, and it worked...for a time (see below.)

Everything was going fine then a week after I deployed it to the user I received an email from the user remarking that the cursor would randomly move. So I had her swing it by and sure enough the cursor would randomly jump to the upper right hand corner of the screen. Since she was working in Microsoft Excel this would pull up the HELP menu at various times, as it is located in the upper right hand corner where the mouse was clicking.

I had opened yet another Dell Chat but beforehand, I had tried recalibrating both the pen and touch but to no avail. Next I connected an external monitor, mouse, and keyboard and had no problems with the mouse jumping randomly. As soon as I disconnected, it started back up again. After speaking with Dell Chat the second time, they determined it was the LCD monitor and sent out a tech to replace it. He came this morning and replaced it but the issue is still there.

After searching various forums, I found various other threads where others are experiencing this issue. Granted some are using different OS's but the result is similar. Below are just a few examples:

http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/laptop/f/3518/p/19325496/19670239.aspx#19670239

http://www.gottabemobile.com/forum/dell/7455-screen-touch-issues-xt2-windows-7-a.html

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+bug/393087

The only thing I've found to temporarily alieve the issue is a program called Touchfreeze, which disables the touchpad whenever you start typing. However, I'm hoping that a resolve can be reached rather than putting this band-aid on it.

Thanks in advance for any input anyone has,

Conor S.

1 Message

June 19th, 2010 00:00

Hello, I experienced a similar problem (Windows 7 x64) the other day.

Symptoms:
All of the sudden the mouse cursor randomly starts moving and clicking near the top left corner of the screen. Rebooting does not resolve the problem

Troubleshooting:
I tried recalabrating the touchscreen and disabling the track pointer (as suggested by some other forums) to no avail.

Resolution:
In the end the resolution for me was to uninstall the N-Trig Duo Sense package for Windows 7 (which I had recently updated) after this was complete I chose not to restart. (reinstalling the package withoug uninstalling doesnt seem to work either)

After this the touch screen was not working (expected) and the mouse continued stopped jumping.

That indicated that it was the N-Trig driver package that was causing the issue.

I restarted and reinstalled the N-Trig package

Since then I have not experienced the issue.

Let me know if this resolves your issue

1 Message

July 27th, 2010 07:00

I have the same problem with my XT2, and the only way I coud rectify the issue is to disable the touch screen by (via the n-trig drivers)

August 12th, 2010 13:00

I've experienced this exact same problem on my XT2 while running Windows XP on it and Windows 7 32 bit.  It's appeared while I was using Office 2003 and 2007, and with a variety of drivers installed, including the Dell / N-trig drivers for XP and Win 7.

Lately this problem has rendered Excel unusable.

I would appreciate Dell to formally and quickly address this serious problem.

August 19th, 2010 13:00

This is exactly the same problem I experienced. The only "usable" OS right now seems to be windows vista. When I switched to windows 7, there were ghost touches, and I wasn't able to properly switch between touch and pen. This caused many problems while writing, because of the palm touchings.

This is really a bad supported n-trig driver problem, which I believe dell should make sure it gets fixed. After all, they sell the tablet.

Maybe we should make a competition for this. Anyone interested in doing so?

September 7th, 2010 15:00

Similar problem here. Often a second touch is detected while single-finger scrolling through a document or webpage, causing the document to zoom in or out for "no" reason.

Tried both the drivers on the Dell site (3.49, A04) as those on the NTrig site (2.172).

Running fully updated Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit.

3 Posts

October 1st, 2010 03:00

Hi,

I have similar problem with ghost touching (xt2, win7pro). In my case cursor jumps and touches in many places, mainly on top of the screen. Tablet functionality is useless.

So far I tried all available version of drivers, from n-trig website and dell, no results. Finally I found Ntrig version 2.89 driver, uploaded on ms live account by some guy named Aaron. I gave it a try today and for a time being - it works. Here is a link: http://bit.ly/7yMKV

regards,

andrzej

64 Posts

October 1st, 2010 04:00

I have this problem in tons of laptops at my institution. The mouse will just randomly move when typing. I suspect its either down to clothing of "brushing" of the pad or when pressure is applied to either side of the pad (resting arms on it) causing this. It is not just one model of dell its tons of different ones and infact if im allowed to say it, its affecting toshiba's too. There are a couple of programs that disable the mouse pad when typing which helps. one already suggested ... touchfreeze and another called touchpadpal. Also you could try turning down the sensitivity of the pad to alot lower level

3 Posts

October 1st, 2010 05:00

I think my issue is not related with accidental touching touchpad with palms while writing on keyboard.

My problem is with touchscreen on LCD. Check out these short videos:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2xnIC4Pe26I

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=luxSs15q0f8&feature=related

LCD is clean, without any greasy stamps.. It is reproducible with OFFICIAL Dell and NTrig drivers for XT2. It's huge a shortcoming.

October 19th, 2010 18:00

I think my issue is not related with accidental touching touchpad with palms while writing on keyboard.

My problem is with touchscreen on LCD. Check out these short videos:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2xnIC4Pe26I

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=luxSs15q0f8&feature=related

LCD is clean, without any greasy stamps.. It is reproducible with OFFICIAL Dell and NTrig drivers for XT2. It's huge a shortcoming.

Thanks very much! Please explain it in details, Where can I find the related documentation?

3 Posts

October 20th, 2010 08:00

just watch these videos carefully in fullscreen, hd mode: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2xnIC4Pe26I and http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=luxSs15q0f8&feature=related

October 25th, 2010 14:00

I've been experiencing the exact same problem that Andrzejm has shown in his video .  (Thank you for taking the time to prepare that!) 

This random unwanted clicks occur when I'm nowhere even near the keyboard or screen.  It rarely happens when browsing using Firefox, but frequently occurs in Word and Excel.  The XT2 usually but not always generates the unwanted clicks in the upper right corner of the screen, and has rendered Excel unusable.

I'm about to completely disable the tablet capability in my XT2 if that will make it possible for me to use Excel again, thereby turning my XT2 into a very expensive regular notebook PC.

Does anyone from Dell monitor these forum posts, and if so, what is Dell's response and proposed fix?

October 25th, 2010 15:00

Also, I'd purchased my XT2 as a refurbished unit from the Dell Outlet.  Can I provide my XT2's serial number to Dell, so they can investigate the original reason the XT2 was returned to Dell?

3 Posts

March 6th, 2011 16:00

i had the same exact problem, which rendered my XT2 unit completely unusable. i have a refurbished 2011 XT2 with "windows 7" running on 32-bit. i have no idea if this solution will work for anyone else, but the solution that i discovered was to do the following:

1. go to the "control panel" (in the start menu)

2. click on "hardware and sound"

3. click on "change touch input settings"

4. click on the "touch" tab at the top of this "pen and touch" dialog box

5. DISABLE (unclick) the "use your finger as an input device" feature

6. click "apply" and "ok" at the bottom of this dialog box

that's what finally solved my horrendous random/phantom mouse movements. i hope this helps everyone else out there, b/c i understand now that this problem is HUGE and exists on almost every XT2 unit. "dell" has already admitted to another customer that they have no idea how to solve this problem, even after replacing his laptop monitor, the motherboard, replacing with a refurbished unit, a brand new unit, etc.  i actually didn't plan on using my finger as a touch input device anyway, so disabling that feature was not a big deal at all for me, i can still type, use the touchpad, and use the stylus; but for those of you who do, i'm sorry for you. all the best.

~ sabet ~

September 22nd, 2011 15:00

Thanks sabet. My professor has problems with this during every single lecture, and it's gotten quite annoying to all of us.  Hopefully this will prevent that from happening to him anymore.

3 Posts

November 27th, 2011 00:00

ultimately, i had my XT2 unit looked at and the techs actually fixed this problem--yayyyy!!!!!  :emotion-2:  they said it was a software problem.

sooooooooo, it looks like it is fixable and now i can enable "finger input" and the cursor does NOT randomly move to places all over my screen. i am happy to say that the problem is now completely fixed.

i suggest that others take their unit in to a computer/laptop repair facility and ask the technicians to fix the problem. if anyone wants me to refer them to the facility i used, just let me know.

~ sabet ~

No Events found!