Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

January 30th, 2012 13:00

Latitude e6420 and 30 Inch Monitor 2560 x 1600 Resolution with Nvidia NVS 4200M possible?

I'm trying to get this setup to work at 2560 x 1600 resolution, but for some reason it won't. I wanted to check to make sure all of my bases are covered. I can't think of anything that would be preventing it from working based on specs alone. Here's what I have:

- Latitude e6420 with NVS 4200M video card, support 2560 x 1600 per these specs 

- Latitude e-port plus docking station

- Dell BizLink DisplayPort to DVI-D Dual Link Adapter

- Samsung SyncMaster 305T Plus Monitor 

- Dual-Link DVI cable 

No matter what I try, with different driver versions, swapping ports, cables (even tried an identical laptop), I can't get the monitor to display anything higher than 1280 x 800. With the DisplayPort adapter connected, the 2560x1600 resolution will show up, but won't display. Even if I bypass the DisplayPort adapter, I still can't go any higher, which is baffling to me. I don't even have the option for a higher resolution. I thought I would at least be able to do 1900 x something. Does it just come down to incompatible hardware?  If anybody could provide some insight or suggestions, I would appreciate it very much.

Thank you.

EDIT: I found this on one of the reviews for the port replicator, which explains why I can't get a higher resolution when using the DVI ports (even though Dell support told me I should be able to)

"The other major oversight of this product is that the max resolution of a 30" dual-link monitor is 1280x800. You have to buy DisplayPort monitors to run at 2560x1600."

5 Posts

February 14th, 2012 10:00

For anybody else considering a similar set up, this configuration does work. Turns out the BizLink adapter was defective and wouldn't display the highest resolution. I got a replacement adapter (same make/model) and it works great now. Now I have a total of 3 screens with this setup, Laptop, Samsung 30 Inch and another 24 Inch.

March 19th, 2012 15:00

I have a very similar setup, but am using a Dell U3011.  I have tried to use both the display port and dual link dvi cables (no adapters).  Neither work.  I do however get at least 1080p @60Hz.  The 1280x800 is the resolution i get to show up when connected to a single DVI out.  I have also had minor success using nVidia's Control Panel to set a custom resolution.  Unfortunately, my timings are unstable and it has caused a fatal crash of my computer several times.

Dell came today and replaced my motherboard using the excuse that the video card was bad.  Replacing the mobo did NOT fix the issue.  I have confirmed the monitor works, and have swapped the E-port with others in the office to no avail.  Dell QA seriously needs to check this setup as I have seen other posts with this issue.  I'm so glad I spent $1500 on a monitor that is only as useful as something 1/10th the cost.

No Events found!