Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

January 3rd, 2017 08:00

Left speaker isn't work from it's port but windows 8 & diagnostic said it's okay just Ubuntu got it

Hi, I have new Inspiron 5551 , it was okay for 2 or 3 months then I got on Ubuntu that left input speaker isn't work , when I made test for sound after I found change

I went to dell's site and tried to make diagnostic but not available for Ubuntu , so I tried windows 8.1 and installed all drivers then I tested the sound it said left and right are good but at me no voice from the left port for the speaker , also it can't run output speaker ,

then I made diagnostic on dell site it said left and right are okay as windows but the same thing , just right is working from it's port , the left speaker haven't any voice from it's port

* also the output speaker just can work with Ubuntu and just one that give voice the left output also isn't work

* the headphone is okay , the left and right are okay on Ubuntu and Microsoft windows

* Laptop is Dell Inspiron 5551, run just 3 or 4 months , OS Ubuntu 14.4 at first , now Microsoft windows 8.1 and it just for try not activated , the audio driver installed, the output speakers F&D t-2169 30hz-18khz are good on normal PC , the headphone Creative WA-2 okay left and right.

I want to know the reason and if I can fix it or must go to Warranty.

Thank you

Bassem

4 Operator

• 

13.6K Posts

January 4th, 2017 07:00

ePSA said all good

Are you sure you ran the ePSA audio test? That test will not "say" the speakers are good. It plays tones through the speakers and you either hear the tones or you don't. If you don't hear the test tones coming from the laptop's left internal speaker,  that means that the speaker has failed -- it is not a software problem --and the solution is to replace the speaker.

I'm sorry if I misunderstand you. Some of the language you use is unfamiliar to me. I think when you write "left port" it is what I mean by "left internal speaker".

Before you contact tech support about this speaker issue, remove all media players from the laptop except Windows Media Player. If tech support takes control of the laptop and sees any other media player, it might deny warranty service by claiming that the media player caused the damage to the speaker.

4 Operator

• 

13.6K Posts

January 4th, 2017 04:00

I want to know the reason and if I can fix it or must go to Warranty.

Hello Bassem. The test you should run is the audio test in the Pre-boot Assessment  diagnostic utility. The Pre-boot tests are not Windows tests. They reside in the BIOS memory on the motherboard, and will run if the laptop has Windows, Ubuntu, or no operating system at all. "Pre-boot" means that the tests run on the machine before the operating system boots up.

This is a link to my instructions for how to use the tests to find out if the speakers have failed.

There are 2 versions of the Pre-boot tests. Most of the newer Dell laptops have the one called ePSA. That one has a dedicated audio test.The instructions have a picture of the ePSA tests.

Some of the model have the older PSA tests, which do not have an audio test, but the instructions explain how to use the PSA color test to test the audio.

When you run either the ePSA or the PSA test, and follow the instructions in my link, you should hear some tones from both internal speakers. If you do not hear the tones from the left speaker during the test, then contact tech support to have it repaired.

17 Posts

January 4th, 2017 06:00

Welcome Jimco , Thank you for your reply , I did it before when mu operation system was Ubuntu and now again as your picture it said all okay as at u , but I didn't hear any sound from left port at me,

and those pictures are example to see the ports that I mean , no any sound from left port , also left out speaker if I connect it the same, the test sound on Ubuntu also said no left sound , but windows 8.1 , the online scan and the ePSA said all good while I can't hear any sound from my left port.

thank u again @jimco

just example not my one my laptop still new and I never opened

regards

3 Apprentice

• 

4.3K Posts

January 4th, 2017 08:00

Just for info, not always a speaker problem.  I had a system in 2004 with one bad speaker which ended up with a motherboard replacement......

Of course, I would also make sure the balance wasn't set to only the right speaker.

4 Operator

• 

13.6K Posts

January 4th, 2017 09:00

also the page of contacts hasn't any option I tried it before and it was the same

If you cannot contact Dell through the contacts page, consult the documents that came with your laptop to see how to contact tech support in your country.

17 Posts

@jimco yes i 'm sure first said 8 tones had run then I marked the under choose and then run it give test is okay, but I didn't hear any sound from left port

and I have now just WMP at first was also VLC it was just to try it with windows media player, but still no sound from left speaker

I don't know what I should do after that , I think I tried all ways , you can tell me if any other thing I can do

thank you

also the page of contacts hasn't any option I tried it before and it was the same , I can't send the reply with the picture , failed 5 times

@saltgrass : I tried to fix it by normal ways and soft programs but no change

Thank you all.

3 Apprentice

• 

4.3K Posts

I remembered I had a system once which would not play sound from one side.  The balance showed centered, but after I moved the balance control, the sound came back ..

17 Posts

January 4th, 2017 10:00

@ jimco: thank you I will back to the seller to tell me where I must go or will try again with sites

there are new news will tell about it after my reply to saltgrass

@Saltgrass : thank you I made sure that balance at me are okay

the new that I removed the audio driver Realtek High Definition Audio Codec Driver, and when I used the High Definition Audio Codec Driver and made the test , the left speaker was failed at windows and online , now I will try the bios steep also then will try other option and if no thing I will back to the seller

thank you all

17 Posts

February 6th, 2017 10:00

Thank you jimco & Saltgrass , it was need to replace, and with it's warranty teach support have changed it for free, and fixed all errors.

thank you, have a nice day.

No Events found!