Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

October 25th, 2016 14:00

Lines on laptop screen

I have two dell xps 12 9q33 touchscreen laptops.  Bought around 6 months apart in 2014/15. I now have on both laptops two vertical lines one pixel wide running down the screen about 4 cm apart. I have contacted dell by phone and they quote me 300 quid per laptop to repair. Personally I think that's poor service since both laptops are doing it. I have checked both laptops using diagnostics etc to determine the problem. All point towards a broken screen. Tested on an external display and the lines disappear. Is this just real bad luck or do I have a case. Any help would be great. Thanks.

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

October 25th, 2016 16:00

No manufacturer will cover bad displays out of warranty - and the price is for more than just the display panel since it's a fused assembly - the entire rotating screen assembly has to be replaced.

2 Posts

October 26th, 2016 00:00

Poor manufacturing though on dells part. Don't think I'll be buying dell again if there laptops are only lasting two years before display gives out.

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

October 26th, 2016 04:00

You'll likely not find the situation much different with any other supplier - notebooks are manufactured under contract by mostly Taiwan-based original design manufacturers.  You're likely to find your next system, though it may have an HP or Acer badge on it - was is as similar to your Dell as a Buick is to a Chevrolet (same manufacturer, different label).

Three year warranties are a very good idea with ANY new system.

No Events found!