Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

May 3rd, 2015 10:00

Lost around 60 GB from my Hard disk

Hey there,

Couple of days ago, I had around 145 GB free on my hard disk, then after I installed win 8.1 on my laptop, I had around 125 GB free cause there was a folder created called "Windows.old" with 15 GB size, and i updated some things from windows update, after that i had 85 GB free, and the folder "Windows.old" disappeared, I defragged my hard disk, and i used CCleaner, but i only got around 12 GB back. I checked the whole space of my hard disk, it was 784 GB used from 915 GB ( after i deleted some files ) which is 131 GB free, but when i see the hard disk properties, it says 804 GB free (110 GB free).

My question is, where did those 60 GB go to ? and how can I get them back ?

Thanks in advance!

4 Operator

• 

3.5K Posts

May 4th, 2015 18:00

I suggest checking disk manager for the missing storage. Open control panel, system and security, administrative tools,  computer management, disk management.

This is a fair article on Disk Manager that may be of help. Please let us know what you find out.

TB

6 Posts

May 4th, 2015 22:00

This is what is shown in my Disk Management, and I'm still not sure what to do, or how to know where i lost that much of GBs.

Thanks again!

4 Operator

• 

3.5K Posts

May 5th, 2015 10:00

A terabyte drive has about 931 useable GB for storage, and disk manager is showing that, with about 15 GB used for utility partitions, and the remaining 915 GB as the primary logical drive (disk C) so there is nothing wrong there. 

From what you mentioned earlier after installing 8.1 there were 125 free and after running Windows updates you had a minimum of 85 free GB left on the drive, is this correct?  

You also mentioned that after defragging, and using CCleaner, you cleared up another 12 GB which would leave 97 GB free and 834 GB used, from where did you get the 784 GB used number that you mentioned?

You also mentioned that you deleted some files which could easily leave you at 111 free GB that the system is showing now  If you want to clear up more space, you may want to move some files over to an external drive, but from what disk manager is showing now and from what you have mentioned I am not seeing any possible hardware defects.

4 Operator

• 

3.5K Posts

May 5th, 2015 11:00

After installing Windows 8.1 and updates you had 125 GB free, and now Windows is showing that you have 111 free.  So something is filling up space on your hard drive.  It could be anything taking up the extra space.  You may want to consider trying a Space Analyzer. 

These are utilities that scan a hard drive and give a detailed report on what is using up all of your space.  I don't have a favorite myself but it is nice being able to see at a glance what programs are using the most space on your hard drive.  If you aren't familiar with any just do a internet search for hard drive space analyzer.

TB

6 Posts

May 5th, 2015 11:00

Thanks for your answer!

I'm not saying that I lost the GBs from the whole usable storage, I just lost that from the C drive.

And no, after i installed windows 8.1, i had 125 GB free, and i installed the updates, but i also had 125 GB free, and then after like 2 days from that i got 85 GB free.

What are the possibilities to lose such big amount of GBs ? 

6 Posts

May 5th, 2015 12:00

Alright, Thanks a lot! appreciated.

Regards,

1 Message

May 5th, 2015 13:00

poxepin,

First, your first username was vulgar. Second, profanity is never needed in a mature conversation and not allowed on our Forum. You are banned.
DELL-Chris M

No Events found!