Creaigger
1 Copper

RE: Loud Buzzing from External Speakers

I agree with you WWWobbly. I have this same ground buzz coming from any external speakers which are connected to my Dell Inspiron 17. I sent the following to Dell Tech Support after having my sound card replaced and shipping my computer for repair twice.  Neither of which worked:

"The Realtek High Definition Audio Driver 6.0.1.8059 ,A04 - dated 20 Mar 2017 introduced a BUZZ into my computer sound. This buzz did not exist until immediately after the restart which was required by this update.  It is not simply a hardware issue. You need to contact the Realtek driver coordinator for Dell and alert them to this flaw/mismatch in the latest driver."

The Realtek update apparently made a change regarding power saving, and shuts off the amplifier when it is not in use - HOWEVER - DELL is using the amplifier as the GROUND for the external speaker jack. So when the amplifier shuts off - there is no ground to the external speaker jack. A disconnect between Dell and Realtek is the issue here. It is a hardware design not matching a Realtek driver - issue.

I was able to get the 60 Hz buzz to stop by installing the Generic Windows Audio Driver as well. Had to unclick the 'Show Hardware Compatible Drivers Only' setting and then scroll down to Microsoft as the manufacturer device driver list and select the second High Definition Audio Device driver listing, not the first one - as it would not install.

And of course as always - DELL never listens or responds to any of this...

Saltgrass
4 Ruthenium

Mine seems like it has gotten worse since the last time I checked.  I have downloaded the latest Realtek driver but not tried it yet.

I have set my system to not show the popup when something is plugged in.  A following test will show if it makes any difference.  Opening the Voice recorder app or the Recording dialog from the speaker icon, still stops the buzzing.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

XPS 2720, Inspiron 17 7779, Inspiron 15 7567, XPS 13 9365, Inspiron 1545, TB16 Dock

0 Kudos
Creaigger
1 Copper

How do we get this issue escalated to Dell?

I have a constant buzz in any external speakers plugged into the Inspiron 17.  When I use another sound card driver - it elminates the buzz - but then my microphone does not work, so I cannot use Skype, which is critical for my business too.

I wish there were a way to highlight these problems to Dell.

0 Kudos
Saltgrass
4 Ruthenium

I have a constant buzz in any external speakers plugged into the Inspiron 17

In the thread, the buzzing happens when nothing is being played.  If yours is doing that, a recent change to the way Waves operates may help.  On two of my systems, the system will switch to a headset without needing the popup so the connection possibilities may have changed.  It may take a audio driver uninstall and reinstall to take advantage.

But it does seem my Inspiron 17 I got over a year ago, continues to behave as previously after the driver was updated/reinstalled.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

XPS 2720, Inspiron 17 7779, Inspiron 15 7567, XPS 13 9365, Inspiron 1545, TB16 Dock

0 Kudos