Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

R

May 27th, 2016 12:00

M 6800: Distortion in the sound -- internal speakers

I'm using Windows 7 SP-1.  After my system plays audio for a while, distortion sets in.  The only way I've found to get rid of it (maybe for a day or so) is to reboot.  Driver is up-to-date.  I need someone to point me in the right direction.  Dell has been no help to date.  I think it's software related (or the driver is faulty).  Just my opinion.  Please help!!!!!!!!!!

4 Operator

• 

3.5K Posts

May 27th, 2016 16:00

Am I correct in understanding that the problem won’t return after a day or so? If rebooting the computer corrects the problem then you are probably correct that this is just software. Just to be sure you may want to completely uninstall the audio driver and reinstall from scratch to make sure that there is no corruption there. 

The next time you notice the problem bring up task manager and see what applications and services that you have running. End task any unneeded programs and see if that helps. While in the task manager, click on the performance tab and check to see if all the system resources are being spent. Click the resource monitor button on the bottom and look at what applications are using the most resources.. it may give a clue as to what software is causing the problem.

If restarting the system corrects the problem every time this really doesn't sound like anything is defective with the hardware of the system, hopefully you will be able to find the culprit. Please let me know what you find out. 

TB

4 Posts

July 24th, 2016 18:00

Oh, and also: rebooting the computer eliminates the problem.  However, it resurfaces after one or two days of continuous use.  Uninstalling the audio driver doesn't make sense to me because I have found that I get video distortion at the same time I get audio distortion.  Also, the problem is getting much worse over time.  I'm not an expert, but this doesn't sound like software to me.  This is an M6800 and I need a solution.  Please try to ask around.  Dell laptop video and audio distortion is all over the web.  I find it on Google and Dell's own forum.  I would think that Dell would have found out the cause by now.  Thank you.

4 Posts

July 24th, 2016 18:00

I saw nothing suspicious there.  However, I get video distortion at the same time I get the audio distortion.  Dell replaced the motherboard, the GPU, the CPU and the motherboard.  Get the same issue.  The temperature of the CPU went from 96C to about 60C - but the problem still exists.  I have 16GB of memory and plenty of resources.  I am still looking for a solution.

No Events found!