Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

April 20th, 2010 18:00

M11x web cam not working properly

Two days ago I got my M11x and the webcam worked pretty fine. Now I have all my necessary stuff and windows updates installed, but the webcam does not work properly anymore. Sometimes it does not show up at the start at all (Skype video preview shows only a few colors, but no image), sometimes it does show up, but the image has an extremely low resolution so that the face recognition does not work properly. Does anyone of you might now what has happened here? These should all programs that I installed in addition to the preinstalled stuff, always updated to the latest version:

MS Office 2007

Norton Internet Security Suite

Mindjet Mind Manager

Citavi

Adobe Flash builder 4

Winamp

VLC

Winamp

WinRAR

Daemon tools (not working along with Norton)

Any guesses what might have happened here...? There are other threads with similar problems: http://en.community.dell.com/owners-club/alienware/f/3746/p/19328893/19684316.aspx#19684316

May 11th, 2010 18:00

Heya,

I think I found out what was causing the error. But first I have to correct myself...I did not have Norton installed, but the ZoneAlarm security suite (Anti Virus and Firewall).

Anyway, after the webcam kept having problems, but once I got BLUESCREENS at startup after the latest ZoneAlarm update I decided to uninstall ZoneAlarm in safe mode and then switched to Avira and the WIndows Firewall....the problem is gone.

I think it has to do with the fact that ZoneAlarm is powered up even before Windows is logged on. It is probably just supressing the commands for the camera to start up. ZoneAlarm isn't too well anyway. The support is hard to reach and program is popping up way too often. Too bad I still got half a year a license left...

Well, I hope that helps you. Good luck! :)

2 Posts

April 28th, 2010 11:00

Hey Yogi,

That was me that posted.  Dell Support asked that I send the computer back as they could not replicate the problem.  I decided not to send it back as it is too much of a pain.  I still have the same issues.  I too have MS Office and Norton installed, but not the others.  Maybe that can narrow it down a bit.  It is strange.  Sometimes it works fine, other times is takes a while, and others it does not work at all.  Anyway, good luck.

No Events found!