Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

February 9th, 2010 07:00

M1330 Inverter

I have a M1330 laptop with WXGA display and need to replace its inverter because there is no display on the screen.  Will the WXGA inverter T73I033.00 from Ebay work for my laptop?

Part of the configuration:

Processor, T8300, 2.4, 3MB, Core Penryn, M0 --- Module, Liquid Crystal Display Standard, Camera, Dummy, M1330 --- Module, Cover, Liquid Crystal Display, A-WHT, 2M, Standard M1330 --- Module, Liquid Crystal Display Notebook, A-WHT, Dummy, M1330 --- Module, Assembly, Base, Notebook Discrete Video, M1330 --- Module, Liquid Crystal Display 13.3WX, Stand, Lg Philips Lcd M1330

Thanks in advance.

Jilix

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

February 9th, 2010 10:00

First, verify that there is a good image on an external display.  If there is not, chances are it's the video chip that has failed - not the inverter.  That is a known problem with the nVidia 8400GS chip on many of these m1330 systems, and there's a 1-year warranty extension that covers the required mainboard replacement:

http://en.community.dell.com/blogs/direct2dell/archive/2008/08/18/nvidia-gpu-update-dell-to-offer-warranty-enhancement-to-all-affected-customers-worldwide.aspx

If there IS a good image on an external monitor, it's a tossup as to whether it's the inverter or the backlight.  Probably 30% of the time it's the inverter - 70% the backlight.  The only way to source the correct inverter is to remove the existing one to find out its model number and search for an exact replacement.  Dell used at least half a dozen screen models in the m1330, not all of which use the same inverter. 

You will find the inverter behind the screen itself - follow the two wires from the mainboard to the inverter to locate it.  Remove it and order the exact same part to replace it.

If the inverter doesn't solve the problem - and it may not - you then know you'll need a backlight replacement (which is beyond home repair for most - you'll need a pro to do it correctly).

15 Posts

February 9th, 2010 14:00

Thank you very much for your reply.

I connected an external monitor to the laptop, and everything was displayed normally on the external monitor.

I also tried to push the "D" key and the power button simultaneously to turn the laptop on.  The screen did some kind of color test: it displayed WHITE, RED, GREEN and BLUE color in turn on the whole screen twice.  And I could see the backlight.  Does it mean that the backlight works?

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

February 9th, 2010 15:00

If the light stayed on, yes -- the backlight and inverter are OK.  Something else - most probably the system board - is not.

No Events found!