Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

June 27th, 2009 06:00

M1330 screen problems

My daughter has this Dell notebook in Turkmenistan, where she'ss serving with the US Peace Corps.  The warrenty has recently expired, naturally.  Her problem log states:  Video Hardware Error, LiveKernelEvent, OS version: 6.0.6001.2.1.0.768.3  Locale ID: 1033

Her description of the problem is:  The computer was in sleep mode, woke up, but soon vertical colored lines appeared on the screen & it crashed.  A reboot was performed, but the screen isn't working.  First, it's black, then the colored lines reappear, then the screen goes white, then the colored lines return.

Really, she's in the most remote corner of Turkmenistan, up close to the Afghanistan northwest border and not in any way able to go to a TECH center or figure this out.  Next week, she will visit Ashgabat, the capital, for several days and the Peace Corps has a tech guy there. 

What can she tell him?

Thanks for any help.

Greg, the concerned dad

9 Legend

• 

87.5K Posts

June 27th, 2009 08:00

It's almost certainly a bad nVidia 8400GS chip and the mainboard will need to be replaced.  Dell has extended the warranty by one year to cover these faulty chips.

http://en.community.dell.com/blogs/direct2dell/archive/2008/08/18/nvidia-gpu-update-dell-to-offer-warranty-enhancement-to-all-affected-customers-worldwide.aspx

5 Posts

June 27th, 2009 09:00

I had the same problem 2 months ago. The problem is due to a defective video-card.

In the XPS1330 there's an integrated video-card. For these reason, a Dell technical expert has to change it.

At home my problem was solved in 24 hours, but if your daugther is abroad you should find out if Dell support is available where she is.

I hope this helps!

No Events found!