Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

June 7th, 2012 16:00

M14x R2 freezes randomly and becomes non responsive.

I get random freezes while doing anything from word processing to gaming.
In result the screen becomes frozen and the fans decide to get noisy. The only way to shut down is to hold the power button.

I assume this may be a motherboard issue. But I'm no expert.

Things I've tried:
reinstall windows.
update bios
turn off speedstep
upgrading all driver software

None of these have helped I get the freezes usually every 2-4 days. It's kind of annoying.

Does anyone else have this issue or a solution:

Thanks

June 7th, 2012 18:00

Dear Customer,

This is Santosh from Dell Social Media Professional team. I understand that your computer is freezing and the fan is making noise at times.

First we need to check if the problem with the hard drive.

Steps to follow:

Turn on the computer and keep tapping “F12” on the keyboard.

Use the up and down arrow keys and select “Diagnostics”.

It usually takes around 5-10 mins to complete the scan.

In the beginning of the scan, you will get a pop up about color display.

Select “Y” on your keyboard for Yes and at the end of diagnostics scan, you will get the report notifying about the problem with the hard drive if there is any.

In case if you get a message about any device fail, please make a note of the error code and keep us posted about it so that we will be able to give you more information on it.

In case if the status the hardware diagnostic test passes, you will get a prompt asking if you wish to run the remaining memory test; select “N” for no.

Since you have mentioned that the fan makes noise, there is a possibility that the fan might be the cause for freezing the computer. In case if it is a hardware problem, then it needs to be replaced.

Please keep us updated about it so that we will be able to follow on it and try to fix this issue at the earliest.  

Regards,

Santosh J

3 Posts

June 8th, 2012 01:00

Hi, thanks for your help.

I ran the diagnostics and everything has passed.

Still no result.

-Asif

June 13th, 2012 19:00

Hi Asif,

Thank you for your reply. In order for us to check more information on this issue, we need the service tag of the computer.

We request you not to post any of your personal information or even the service tag on public forum. Please accept my friend request and send the service tag of the computer under private message so that we will be able to follow up further on it.

Please get back to us for any further clarifications.

Regards,

Santosh J

Dell Media Professional

No Events found!