Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

Closed

C

6 Posts

April 27th, 2008 23:00

M1710 Overheating problem

Have had my XPS M1710 for over a year now and have been happily gaming away with no issues.

Over the last week however she has been giving some very strange fan activity! Either the fan does not kick in at all (it used to always be on just at a low speed) and then it will eventually kick in and the machine sounds like it is about to take off! Once this happens the laptop also becomes almost completely locked with both the cores maxing out at 100% even though i have nothing running!

It also gets red hot, so much so you cannot have it on your lap, and yes I am always VERY carefull to make sure i'm not blocking the vents.

Full spec is M1710 dual core2.16 invidia 7900go. FYI am now running Vista.

Thank you in advance

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

August 28th, 2008 21:00

Shouldn't have to, but inquiring minds...

I would just want to remove the keyboard and have a quick look at the heatsink and fans. The hardware in the 17XX series is going to run hotter than a 9200, but I am not convinced it needs to run as high as you are describing. If you are still under warranty and want to try a new heatsink,  just let me know.

40 Posts

August 29th, 2008 08:00

this program works 8fangui  dell does not want to fix over heating problem or emit they have a problem .   

i have had 5 laptop replaced by dell i 21/2 years for over heating mother board.. there tech take it apart and cant find out why ..one tech told me it was because cpu and mother board over heat and then hard drive .

so i would get this program or find another computer company .. i will never recommend dell  they are going down hill compared to what they use to be

7 Posts

August 29th, 2008 13:00

Rather than me spend a lot of time looking for instructions on removing the keyboard, can you point to a link?

I've over the last couple of days spent an inordinate amount of time trying to deal with another problem (windows appears to have a glitch that's been present since the day I got the XPS - every time I reboot (happens a lot as I install software, update windows software, etc.) I get a series (changes every time) of error messages saying that windows can't write to memory (the message is longer, but I don't remember the exact wording).  I contacted Dell about this, thinking that the problem might be hardware, but after running the long diagnostic, it appears to be software related.  Advice was to reload windows, which I've avoided because it would mean redoing everything that I've done since I got the XPS.

Anyway, if you could tell me where to get instructions for removing the keyboard...

40 Posts

September 20th, 2008 09:00

run this program for fan prevent mother board over heating along with bio upgrade..

September 25th, 2008 21:00

Ok, so it turns out I am experiencing the EXACT same problem as you are.  I've practically had everything replaced including: Video Card, Heatsink, Both Fans, Motherboard,  nVidia drivers, A07 Bios.  Diagnostics ruled out everything.  The  computer is still overheating and shutting down after about 30 minutes of operation.  I mean c'mon, I've played LOTRO for hours upon hours, but I can't even browse the internet now.  My computer is on its way to flextronics for a second repair...how much longer?

Am I going to have to wait a month like you...will they ever just give up and replace it?  Its hard being a college student without a laptop.

40 Posts

September 26th, 2008 00:00

your computer dell go thur better business Bureaus..ALSO  DEMAND at supervisor when speaking will dell. that what i have done.. also download program
http://www.diefer.de/i8kfan/index.html  this keep fans  on..  sound like mother board on way out. SETUP FORCE FAN TO HIGH ..THIS STOP MY OVER HEATING UNLESS I'M ON LONG TIME.. YOU CAN MONITOR IT ALSO..
---

September 26th, 2008 16:00

Already monitored with that program and everything checked out normal.  Peak temperatures for CPU was 53C and GPU was 65C.

Message Edited by Neve12ende12 on 09-26-2008 12:40 PM

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

September 26th, 2008 19:00

No Events found!