Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

A

April 23rd, 2009 07:00

M1730 problems from day 1

Since I got this laptop on 7/28/2009, I have had to reinstall at least 10 times because of program corruptions. Dell has replaced the motherboard 6 times and other components at least one or 2 times. Still, I seem to be able to work no longer then 3 to 4 weeks before my programs corrupt and I experience many lockups. It is just wierd, but I can't convince Dell to replace my laptop.

Has anyone experienced these constant corruptions. Any suggestions?

109 Posts

April 29th, 2009 09:00

Needless to say, the purchase date was in 2008.

I now tried to install Windows Vista because the computer came with both and hoped that this would resolve the issue. I did a full format of the drive and installed the drivers from the Dell website and installed them. So far everything seemed fine. Then I got the windows updates and on reboot the blue screen of death. I have run out of options. I have to accept the offer to mail the computer in for service.

Why do I not feel good about it? For some reason I think that this issue we never be resolved, that I will forever own this top of the line laptop, which does not work right. There should be a lemon law for computers.

I will advise.

109 Posts

May 7th, 2009 12:00

05/07/09

I got the laptop back today. With the laptop I had sent a long note describing all the problems, and I could not believe my eyes when the return note described what was replaced: the speakers.  That is really going to solve a major computer problem! I hooked up the laptop and it returned to the windows error screen telling me that the computer did not shut down correctly, asking me if I wanted to run the recovery using the windows Cd or how else I wanted to boot.

What a waste of my time and money, because for every minute I spent on this laptop fixing it, I don't produce.

Dell has now agreed to replace the laptop. Again, I am worried because it gets replaced with a reconditioned computer, whose problems I do not know. I can just see my laptop getting reconditioned and eventual another user gets it as a replacement or perhaps buys it used. I feel sorry for that person already.

Therefore I am afraid that I might wind up with.  It might just be someone elses problems.

At least my Inspiron 9200 which is 4 years old is still working well.

We shall see

109 Posts

June 7th, 2009 09:00

I has been 6 weeks since my laptop last crashed and it is now one month since I was promissed a replacement computer. I was told that it will be new computer, not a re-conditioned one. If it would just get here.

I am stressing again, that Dell has no concept of the urgency of getting a computer working again. My M1730 has been a nightmare which is never ending. It took me over 8 months to convince someone at Dell to replace the computer; but where am I now? I was given the name, phone number and extension of the supervisor I talked to at the time, but the phone number came back as a wrong number and of course, since one is always given just a first name, she might just as well be a ghost. I would think that the person or persons who authorized the exchange are documented in my file, but it is treated as a secret.

I was also told that it would take 10 to 14 business days for the replacement. Now, calling is just a waste of time. I get some vague answer, like "be perhaps next week". What answer is that? 

I bought this M1730 from the home site because it still had Windows XP available at the time, but now the home site does not offer this computer anymore. But it is still available on the business site, but not with the same processors. Now, I worry that I will never ever get this new computer because the people from the home site don't talk to the ones from the business site?

I want an answer, any suggestions from anyone?

M1730, Intel core 2 Extreme X9000 (2,8GHz, 800 Mhz 6M L2 Cache)

4GB, DDR2, 667MHz

17" UltraSharp TrueLife Wide Screen WUXGA

NVIDEA SLI Dual GForce 8700MGT with 512MB GDDR3 memory

Windows Vista Ultimate w/bonus  XP Pro

Anne

No Events found!