Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

May 2nd, 2013 14:00

M17x R3 - Random Black screens

Here are my problems:

- LCD goes black randomly, doesnt matter whether I'm in game or surfing the web etc. Resolution or refresh rate has no effect on frequency of black screens.  

- Backlight still on, no problem with that.

- No black screens when attached to external display.

- No black screens on safe mode with networking.

- Temperatures below 60C

Relevant specs:

Windows 8

GTX580M

120Hz LCD monitor 3D compatible

Any ideas on what might be causing the problem?

3.3K Posts

May 2nd, 2013 18:00

Hi JSBachisthebest ,

Please help me understand, what do you mean by no black screen while using the computer in safe mode and on external monitor?

May I know the status of Power button on the computer?

I recommend to run diagnostics on the LCD. Restart the computer by holding "D" and Power button simultaneously. Let the diagnostics complete.

Awaiting your response!

May 2nd, 2013 19:00

Hello Rajesh,

I was testing my laptop in safe mode and limited boot mode with and without the video driver today. Turns out that even without the NVIDIA driver, I get black screens both in safe mode and normal boot regardless of whether I'm in a game or not. Initially, I thought the problem might be in the driver, but I don't think it is.

When I say black screen, I mean the LCD displays the "black colour" as if the entire screen was painted black on MS Paint or something. The backlight is on and the LCD is on, but there is no image. Just a black screen.

When I attach my laptop to an external monitor via HDMI cable and turn off my laptop LCD so that the external is the only display, I get no black screens. However, when both the laptop display and the external are on and my laptop blacks out, the external stops displaying and freezes on a single colour.  

Also, the sound keeps playing during the black screens.

All of my BIOS and drivers are up to date.

As for the LCD BIST, it does not initialize. When I turn on the computer after pressing D+power button, it POSTs but after that I just get a black screen with nothing, exactly the same one I get if the computer was running otherwise.

The power button seems to be fine to me. No visual discrepancies. The computer is still turned on when I get the black screens. It sometimes restarts, sometimes gets stuck on the black screen.

The black screens happen very randomly and unpredictably. I think there might be a problem with the LCD. Please let me know what you think

Thanks

3.3K Posts

May 7th, 2013 05:00

Hi JSBachisthebest,

This can be an issue with the LCD display. Kindly private message the service tag so that I can take the case forward.

To send me a Private Message, click my User name, and then click Start Conversation.

Awaiting your response!

May 7th, 2013 10:00

Hello, I don't think the LCD is the problem anymore because I hooked it up to an external and it actually gave me a monochrome screen after a while. I am pretty sure it is the GPU at this point. I removed the gpu and started it up without the gpu. It gave me 8 beeps which is what it does sometimes when I do a hard shut down and restart it right after a black screen. I have the GTX 580M. Does Dell sell the gpu's for replacement? Please let me know. Thank you

3.3K Posts

May 10th, 2013 09:00

Hi JSBachisthebest,

Is the computer under warranty? If yes, I shall go ahead and arrange for a service on the computer.

If you still want to purchase the video card and if the warranty on the computer has expired, I recommend contacting expired warranty services (US based customers):

http://dell.to/11iLTtA

Awaiting your response!

May 10th, 2013 10:00

Hello, Warranty expired unfortunately. However, what I want to do is try to upgrade to a gtx 680m if I can get one. Do you know if it is compatible with this system and if dell sells upgrade material (card, heat sink, pads etc)?

3.3K Posts

May 13th, 2013 08:00

Hi JSBachisthebest,

GTX 680m is not yet tested on Alienware 17X r3.

Refer the picture below for compatible Video cards on the computer:

If you still want to purchase the video card, I recommend contacting expired warranty services for compatible part replacement (Canada based customers):

http://dell.to/13Uf2bW

Awaiting your response!

No Events found!