Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

B

March 1st, 2014 01:00

M2 SSDs for M3800

Hi Folks,

I'm close to pulling the trigger on an M3800.  I figure it would be cheaper for me to buy the base model and upgrade the drives myself.  I have a couple questions about the drive configuration.

I've never used an M2 device before.  Does an M2 SSD work the same as a 2.5" SSD?  If so, would I be able to load up the M3800 with one main SSD as my C: drive, and then have a 2.5" HDD as my D: drive?

If that is the case, are there any specs I should pay attention to for the M2 SSD, or will any M2 SSD work?

Finally, does the M3800 ship with discs or something with which I can reinstall Win 7 once I replace the drives?  If not, how would I go about installing Win 7 on it once I swap out the drives?

Thanks very much for any information!

222 Posts

March 20th, 2014 08:00

Hi,

I have received mine 2 weeks ago and I'll try to answer your question. My first M3800 had to be sent back because I didn't configure it with a second drive as I was going to install my own 2.5" SSD. Unfortunately it shipped with the default 91WHR battery that takes up the space where the second HD can be installed and thus didn't come with the necessary HD bracket and connector.

I re-ordered it with the 512gb M2 SSD and the cheapest 2.5" HD thus ensuring all the parts were correct including the 61 WHR battery. I removed the 2.5" HD and installed my Samsung SSD in the enclosure and all is good. It boots from the M2 SSD and I use the 2.5" SSD HD for extra storage of files.

My system shipped with Windows 8.1 Pro and it includes a USB thumb drive with the OS on it with which you can re-install/recover from. It has no DVD drive so you would have to get an external DVD drive or do it via a USB thumb drive.

I believe if you purchase it with Windows 7, it includes the USB thumb drive with Windows 8.1 for recovery. To be able to re-install Windows 7 you would have to create a recovery USB thumb drive (8gb in size) utilizing Dell's Backup and Recovery Manager that is loaded on the system.

Hope this info helps.

5 Posts

July 1st, 2014 23:00

hey hi...I have the same plan as yours and I am typing this reply right now using the base model unit...planning to replace the 500 GB Hybrid Drive into a Samsung Evo 840 1TB SSD mSata card. How did your plan work out for you?

No Events found!