Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

April 27th, 2015 05:00

M3800, issues

4 months ago, I paid $5000 for a brand new Dell 3800 laptop and 3 weeks ago it failed. Sure, these things do occasionally happen and I was only slightly perturbed when I called Dell support, and I was almost relieved when I was told that, as per my “next business day” service option, a technician would promptly arrive and replace the motherboard. 3 business days later, the first technician arrived and proceeded to try and remove the back cover. However, he was so inept that he completely stripped two of the screws – not just one, but two! “Not to worry”, he assured me. He would simply break the back cover to gain access. But, he would have to wait until Dell could send a replacement cover. 6 business days - he returned to wrench the back cover free from the screws he destroyed and finally replaced the motherboard. However, this “new” motherboard didn’t work properly. The laptop started, but when he tried to turn it off, the keyboard stayed illuminated, the screen froze and there was no way of restarting. Then this supposed Dell technician actually asked me “Does this model normally do that?!?” Trying not to choke on my complete bewilderment, I said “No”. So, while I waited for yet another “new” motherboard, I decided to call Dell to lodge a complaint. I was told to put this in writing and send it to customer service, which I did, and I promptly received an automated reply stating that I would receive a response within 8 business hours… But, I never heard anything. 9 business days - a second technician arrived to install yet another motherboard, which, thankfully, he managed to do without breaking anything else. However, Dell had sent the wrong screws to replace the ones stripped by the first technician. So, I sent another mail to customer service and, once again, got the automated “We will respond within 8 business hours”. 12 business days – I finally heard from customer service. But, not to say sorry for the terrible service I’d been receiving and not to say that my replacement screws were on the way, but just to say that my service job would be closed within 24 hours. I replied rather promptly to ask what had become of my missing screws? To my surprise, this person had absolutely no knowledge of my screwed screws and asked me to supply photographic proof, which I duly did. 20 business days – and still no reply…..Paying $5000 for a laptop that fails after just 4 months is bad enough, but to get this kind of terrible service is simply insulting.

No Responses!
No Events found!