Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

November 19th, 2015 06:00

M3800 workstation display has 2 horizontal flickering lines (approx 1cm thick) under certain colour shades

Hi Guys,

One of my first posts on this forum, as its my first DELL machine.

The workstation is:

DELL M3800 

CPU i7-4712HQ

GPU NVIDIA Quadro K1100M

W10 Pro

Over the last few months, the screen has developed two horizontal lines (Splitting the display into 3 segments) that appear to flicker when showing certain shades of colour. The flicker is completely invisible under white or black backgrounds, but becomes extremely noticeable under different shades of grey, and other darker colours. The lines appear to start approx .5 cm from the left edge with a sharp contrast, and fade away towards the right edge.

The flicker appears to be getting progressively worse over the past couple of weeks, but does go away sometimes altogether.

I have reinstalled my video and chipset drivers and am running out of ideas. 

Tried a HDMI connection to a TV, and the lines are not present, which seems to point towards the display being faulty? 

Any suggestions on what could be causing this would be greatly appreciated!

26 Posts

Probably should have mentioned, the M3800 is a portable workstation (same chassis as the XPS15), so the lines appear on the laptop display.

Could it by any chance be a loose monitor cable plug or similar? 

P.s. Thanks for the response!

4 Operator

• 

11.1K Posts

Tried a HDMI connection to a TV, and the lines are not present, which seems to point towards the display being faulty? 

If you are also using the same HDMI to connect to your regular monitor that you connected to the TV, then, yes, the display is probably faulty.

February 2nd, 2016 07:00

Did you ever get this solved? My M3800 started exhibiting exactly these symptoms this morning after being fine last night.

26 Posts

February 2nd, 2016 08:00

Hi,

In my case the only way to resolve it was to replace the display unit.

No software tweaks solved the problem (at first I thought I could work around it with a higher or lower display refresh rate, but the problem only got worse over time).

Hope this helps!

22 Posts

November 13th, 2016 15:00

Hi - I started seeing this problem after my monitor was replaced (I had one dead pixel, and Dell kindly replaced the screen for me). This issue is far worse.

Could you confirm there is still no software fix, and that the problem is hardware related?

2 Posts

November 22nd, 2016 00:00

Hi,

I bought the PC last February and after some weeks the problem appeared.

I called DELL and they decided to replace the display.

Today the problem comes again, after 6 months. I should be inside warranty.

But what can happen in the future if will appear again when warranty will be elapsed?

22 Posts

November 26th, 2016 14:00

Could you check in your Windows Update centre to see if an update has recently come from Microsoft (a service-pack update). I assume you're on Windows 10.

The timelines you describe are in line with something I've read somewhere else and there was mention of the screen problem being caused by the Windows Service Pack updates from MS.

Long shot, I know. But could you confirm?

2 Posts

January 24th, 2017 00:00

For several reason I am working with Windows 7.

If I connect the notebook to an external monitor I don't see the problem on it (while is still present on the display of the laptop).

No Events found!