Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

PL

October 13th, 2011 09:00

M4600 random power down

We have a group of M4600's experiencing random power shutdowns.  These shutdowns do not generate BIOS logs, or logs in the event viewer.  Diagnostics run cleanly.  We've eliminated heat issues, and there are no thermal logs in the BIOS.  We sometimes see graphics distortion prior to power downs.  Having Optimus on or off doesn't seem to affect the power offs.  But we notice that the PCs shutdown more often when the USB ports are in use.  We've deployed 20+ M4600's all using a coporate image of Win7x64 Enterprise. Only about 7 of these are experiencing these random shutdowns/power offs. These affected PCs will run for a couple days without issues, then have a random shutdown(s).  

Any suggestions on how to resolve this issue would be appreciated.

1 Message

November 21st, 2011 13:00

I also have a pair of M4600s doing the exact same thing. The latest shutdown occurred while the user was off of his docking station he did however have a USB mouse plugged into his system. I'm totally baffled as to what could be causing these random power reboots that seem to be occurring. Any additional information you come across would be appreciated.

6 Posts

June 1st, 2012 06:00

We also have one M4600 doing random power down. Tried updating bios and drivers, but keep getting Kernel Power event... About to call Dell about this issue. I'll give feedback on this thread if I find anything..

6 Posts

June 7th, 2012 06:00

Well, Last friday, I talked wit ha Dell tech online, and they sent us a Technician to change the motherboard. He told us he would maybe change the video card, but seems only the motherboard I think. For now, No issue, we'll see i na few weeks.

6 Posts

June 11th, 2012 08:00

Well, problem came back. mouse was like dead, not working, then un plug, replug, and BOOM, Power Down :S

4 Posts

June 19th, 2012 16:00

I am having this same problem.  I have read on another post that it is related to the battery.  A coworker of mine experienced the same symptoms.  He removed the battery, checked the contacts , and then put it back in.  He hasn't experienced a problem since (several weeks).  I've just done the same thing since I had two shutdowns today.

6 Posts

July 10th, 2012 20:00

A technician came again, changing the motherboard, things related to AC, and we are still having issue.

3 Posts

July 30th, 2012 10:00

Hi, I'm also having the same issue running a i7-2760QM, 8GB 1333MHz DDR3 Dual Channel (4x2GB) and  Quadro 2000M.

Did anyone get to the bottom of why its happing?

6 Posts

July 30th, 2012 11:00

On my side, I don't know, I suspect the video card (FireGL 5950), as they changed 2 tiems motherboard, AC power related, and now we had a system exchange. Seems to be working fine, except the Centrino ultimate-N 6300 that was defective..

1 Message

August 26th, 2012 20:00

My experience was that the wireless card was causing the random shutdowns. Try switching off the wireless function (or disable it in BIOS) for a week or two and see if your M4600 is running stable.

1 Message

September 13th, 2012 02:00

It just happened to me this morning.  Just a blink and the laptop was completely off.

I've been running wireless for months and usually have multiple USB devices going.  

This is the first shutdown I had.  I hope it doesn't start happening more.

I will keep an eye on this board to see if any final solution is found.

3 Posts

October 5th, 2012 01:00

In the end I sent my m4600 back to dell who said it was a faulty motherboard. No replacement part so available so they just sent me a new machine. Been ok for 2days however reading about your fault doesn't fill me with confidence if it goes down again it's going in the bin and I will be getting a different brand. I was without a laptop for 8wks in the end it was like getting blood out of stone not sure I would buy a dell again.

1 Message

October 5th, 2012 01:00

I am having the same issue too, I'm located in France, firstly I've bought four M4600, all are affected by random shutdown. Dell give us 2 other new M4600 for testing and we have the same issue, so 6 of 6 are having the issue.

Can we compare our hardware configuration?

Our configuration : I7-2860QM / 16Go ram / 128Gb ssd / 500Gb hdd / Quadro 2000m / 180W power adapter with 9 cell. 97Wh battery / wifi intel 6300 / bluetooth dell 375 / 8X DVD+-RW Drive Tray / integrated webcam / 1920x1080 screen.

Have you tried to change express charge setting (bios)?

I have some difficulties to know which drivers to use for integrated HD3000. I formatted one and install drivers (waiting one day between each install) it seems that the computer began to have the issue after installing the hd3000 drivers (providing by intel website, not found in Dell website).

I have no opinion about usb ports.

Are you all using ssd minicard ?

6 Posts

October 5th, 2012 05:00

Hi!

For us, the M4600 had a motherboard change,first time, and it wasn't working fine. The next 2 other time, it wasn't working. We aked to send us a new one.

First laptop: i5 2520, 4gb ram, HDD 250gb, AMD FirePro 5950M, standard battery.

New one: i5 2520, 8gb ram, HDD 320gb, AMD FirePro 5950M, standard battery.

I guess there was an issue with the RAM... We had to take back the WiFI card of the old laptop has the new One Intel was not working.

3 Posts

October 13th, 2012 23:00

I am having this exact problem with my brand new dell M4600.  It happened once two weeks ago and I wrote it off as a fluke, then today it happened 3 times and now I don't think this is a fluke.  Did you ever figure out what the issue was?  Did Dell just change out your laptop?

I plan to call Dell about this issue and hope to get it resolved.  However, based on what I see in this forum, Dell has replaced motherboards in an attempt to solve this issue but it didn't.  What ended up being the outcome for you?

3 Posts

October 14th, 2012 09:00

My replacement has been good for 8days now, so I would say if your seeing the fault get on to dell straight away to sort it out. I also put it off for a bit at first. I never did find out what the actual fault was though.

No Events found!