Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

December 3rd, 2009 11:00

M6400 Windows 7 Smart Card driver issue

After upgrading my Vista 64bit OS to Windows 7, I do have an issue with the Smart Card : although the drivers for "Dell Wireless 5530 HSPA Mobile Broadband Minicard PC SC Port" and for "Microsoft Usbccid Smartcard Reader (WUDF)" are installed correctly, in the device manager an "Other device" smart card is listed with a missing driver (location : ScFilter).
I've tested the smart card reader with the Belgian eID-card, and the card reader works fine, but as soon as I've plugged in my card an additional "Other device" smart card entry was added to the device list and an additional driver installation fails ...

41 Posts

December 3rd, 2009 12:00

Make sure you have the correct drivers installed. If the smart card reader came with your computer, you can get the drivers from http://support.dell.com/support/downloads/index.aspx?c=us&l=en&s=gen. You can also get drivers from the website of the product manufacturer.

6 Posts

December 6th, 2009 02:00

Thanks for your reply.

The smart card was factory installed by Dell.

I've downloaded and installed the "Dell ControlPoint Security Device Driver Pack" (Dell_ControlPoint-Security-D_A13_R243253) already before, but this didn't solve the issue.  Even re-installed the drivers.
The smart card reader drivers (in the device manager listed as "Smart card readers") seems to be installed fine (and the card reader seems to work fine), except this smart card listed as "Other devices".  The hardware ID of that smart card is "SCFILTER\CID_3303013145410602b6".

Each time I boot the computer the OS tries to install the driver, but it fails.  I've tried to disable the smart card to avoid the driver install attempts while booting, but even that does not solve my issue.

41 Posts

December 6th, 2009 06:00

Open the Start menu, type msconfig inside the search box, and hit Enter to open msconfig.exe. Go to the "Services" tab abd the "Startup" tab to try and find the driver installation. If you find it, uncheck the box to disable it, click OK, and restart your computer.

23 Posts

December 6th, 2009 18:00

If the smartcard reader is present, the "Other device smart card" is likely the SIM card for the 5530 HSPA device.  (A SIM card is actually a smart card; they often use a type of smartcard driver.  The driver packages for the mobile broadband devices hide them to avoid confusion.)

I believe if you right-click the device in device manager and uninstall it (if it is installed), and install the Dell ControlPoint Connection Manager WWAN (Mobile Broadband) Driver package, that will resolve your problem.

6 Posts

December 11th, 2009 02:00

Thanks for all the suggestions.

I've installed the new "Dell Wireless 5530 A-Rev drivers for Windows 7 (32-bit and 64-bit)" released on 2009 December 8th and the issue is solved now.  The "Other devices" smart card is gone, no longer attempts to install a driver, ...

2 Posts

January 8th, 2010 09:00

Hi

I have the same problem with my smartcard

(worked fine under older OSes - and for a while with Windows 7 64).

I don't have the the Dell Wireless 5530 card (but tried your install suggestion anyway). No joy. I get my Microsoft smartcard drivers but the the smartcard appears as a driverless device (as described above).

Does anyone know what model the contact based smartcard is?

I did try the dell security device pack. I think that it was probably installing one of the DCP programs a little while ago that stopped the smartcard from working - but that my not be Fair (not had to use the smartcard for a while).

23 Posts

January 9th, 2010 14:00

ichc,

The smart card device on the M6400 is integrated with another security device.  It uses the Microsoft smart card drivers; I believe with a patch for an issue from Microsoft.

Have you tried loading the latest Dell Security Device Driver Pack that supports Windows 7 64-bit? 

Dell_ControlPoint-Security-D_A13_R243253.exe

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

January 21st, 2011 08:00

Hi, could you let me know where you got the Windows 7 driver for your 5530 HSPA driver? Can you send the whole link to it?

No Events found!