Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

April 3rd, 2009 02:00

M6400 covet - Adobe color gamut & back-lit edge to edge display

This laptops comes with a galss in front of the display. Dell calls it a edge to edge back-lit display. This is one reason why this model is more expensive than the regular M6400.

The glass reflects the light...   :(   I've also noticed that this display has a very different color gamut (Dell calls it Adobe color gamut). The colors seem much brighter: the reds look like brigh pinks and the blues tend to be greenish....

I wonder if the color on my M6400 is normal. I've tried an external display and it is just fine so I'm sure the graphic card (nvidia FX 3700M) is ok. It must be the display but I can't figure out if this is normal or not???

The colors do look a bit bizarre... I suppose this is a question for a true Precision geek... any one out here?

Cheers,

P

5 Posts

April 4th, 2009 21:00

Have you checked out the color management section? (right click, settings, advanced, color management or control panel depending on the OS you are running)

You should be able to use a few color profiles and if you choose sRGB (windows default color space / gamut), then you will loose the very saturated colors, but everything should look normal again. If that works, you can read up on all the other color spaces (assuming you have them loaded) and experiment. If you do not have many color spaces, then go to adobe, find theirs, load them up, & play. The AdobeRGB & ProPhoto color spaces are excellent for digital phots when using Photoshop and your M6400 should be able to handle at least AdobeRGB just fine.

I have the Studio XPS 16 with a wide color gamut RGB LED back lit LCD & I love it, but it took me a while to understand the color management system on Vista 64 Ultimate. I'm also prefer ATI, so I'm really enjoying my notebook.

Good Luck,

Kim

28 Posts

May 1st, 2009 19:00

Hey there:

I have the M4400 with the RGB LED. I, too ,was horrified at the color reproduction, but I found a semi-solution:

1. Go to Control Panel > Color Management
  2. Select your display from the Device drop down menu, if it's not already showing.
  3. Click Use My Settings For This Device.
  4. Click Add and choose the scRGB profile.

This was the best option I could find, though there must be an actual profile for this display somewhere. You could also play around with the color settings in the nVidia control panel, but this is less ideal, I think.

If by any chance you're also using Photoshop CS4, make sure you choose that same setting in the Color Settings section of the program. Then, select the option to not use the embedded profiles of images you open. (Chances are, they were created using a non-wide gamut profile, so they'll look like garbage if you load their profiles too.)

I hope this helps!

No Events found!