Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

Closed

G

4 Posts

July 4th, 2006 12:00

MEDIA DIRECT

Hello Guys,

I just bought an Inspiron 6400 and when I want to lounch the Dell Media Direct, I get the next answer: "unable to lounch application. Please install the Media Direct Software". The problem is that I didn't receive any CD with this software. Is it available to download from Dell website? Please help me on this mater..

97 Posts

July 4th, 2006 16:00

Did you reformat your hard drive since you recieved your laptop?
Are you using Windows XP Media Center as your OS?

RGT

2.5K Posts

July 5th, 2006 00:00

The software is not available for downloading.  You can request the Media Direct Reinstall CD from Dell.  I've had good luck getting the CD's using email and chat.  I'd call tehm as a last resort.

Dave

4 Posts

July 5th, 2006 07:00

My OS is Win XP Professional.

97 Posts

July 5th, 2006 20:00

then you will need the Media Direct installation disc and the discs containing CyberLink Power DVD & Sonic CinePlayer. Be aware that the Media Direct software has to be installed on it's own hard drive partition. The instructions are included with the reinstallation disc. I agree with the above poster. Use chat or email. I've always had better luck getting things quicker.

RGT

2 Posts

July 23rd, 2006 13:00

Hi, here is the download link for Dell Media Direct:

http://support.dell.com/support/downloads/download.aspx?c=us&cs=19&l=en&s=dhs&releaseid=R95248&formatcnt=1&libid=0&fileid=123419

5 Posts

July 27th, 2006 01:00

Hi every bodys!
I have also an inspiron 6400 with a set of CD: OS, Media Direct Power DVD, Media Expirence...
I reinstalled my OS by my OS CD but i couldn't reinstall the Media Direct. When i reinstalled the media direct the progress bar copy file run at 10%, i received an error message. What can i do now to install it. Could you guide me the way to install step by step
And when i reinstall OS the PC-restore feature is disappeared, i press Ctrl - F11 but nothing happen. I didn't see the blue bar: www.dell.com any more. Although i haven't deleted the PC-Restore Data in my hard driver

3 Posts

July 29th, 2006 13:00

pleeease help me!!!! i'm from romania and i have too a dell inspiron 6400 buyed.....the same problem whit the partition formated....and ca't get those cd with the software for media direct...please could you send to me...couse i can't even talk with the support from dell becouse my service tag in outside of ...worl))...this is it.....please can anyone send those cd to me?? pleease

5 Posts

July 31st, 2006 10:00

I have just reformated my notebook..inspiron 6400..using OS given by dell.
therefore i am facing a problem reinstalling dell media direct and
media experience.

1)media direct
i have tried to follow according da instructions from the handbook
which means i hav to leave 2055mb of unpartitioned space for media direct
however i still couldnt install it stopped at 10% of the installation.
and so i tried to repair dell media direct by downloading the repair
utilities however i could not open the burning software when i double
clicked the file i am supposed to burn so i made it into cd manually
by opening the burning software. As followed by the instructions which
is to restart the windows press F12 and choose to boot the cd the
windows could not detect any files and therefore returned to windows.

2)media experience
when i was installing media experience using the media experience
reinstalling cd the windows said i do not have the windows net. framework.
Therefore i downloaded the latest net. framework but it's still the
same.

thx,
van

35 Posts

August 19th, 2006 02:00

ok, this is old news as ive been seeing here!  but, I cant deal with this anymore!
i have xp home, inspiron 6000 (still), 60 gig hd,and all cds that came with the thing a year ago!
i have whiped the drive (nsa 7 times) .   created the first partition for md2 and second for xp home!  heres where it gets sticky!
when i try to boot to the md2 disc i made,  i type cd\md2 - then enter!        then i type- repair-enter!   the problem is that after i type repair then enter   i see a blue box in the center! (but it only flashes there very quickly??)  it does not stay there to give me time to choose any  options???????????     ive tryed it about 10 times, even tryed creating (unpartioned space,partitioned space,fat space-----)                 man, i may never even use this feature but knowing that it can be done makes me almost an addict! (trying to get it to work)   1 other problem is----- because i cant choose any option on the blue pop up screen,  xp will not allow that # 1 partition to reside there without wanting to format it or throw xp on it!?       because xp seems to want to use C?  so , do i need some newer version of md2 or what?    i tryed the one that is in my dell folder!  the iso.   and nero made a cd of it.   and as i told you itdoes boot to it.    but why is it not letting me see the blue screen so i can choose   OK!?       any info other then what ive read for the last 5 days would be so so so helpful!                 thank you very much!

bye the way , my lap top is back to just xp with no other partition!   but if you have the answer, i will gladly format again!
Im in deep now,   cant turn back at this point   :)

35 Posts

August 21st, 2006 02:00

OK, ive saved this info and will try it out! the first ive read before, that didnt do it! but the other two seem to be what i need? So, i will put it to work in the next couple days! thank you very much! i will let you know when and if this does the trick! have a good day! :)

2.2K Posts

August 21st, 2006 08:00

" the first ive read before, that didnt do it! but the other two seem to be what i need?"

No, I just wasn't sure that you had seen Dan Goodell's article, and I only linked the other two as additional reference material on Dell's hard drive partitioning features.

Doesn't your hard drive partitioning need to be like the figures depicting the factory setup in the article, or at least have three partitions preceding HPA? I presume MediaDirect is still in HPA, and suspect from the article's description that MediaDirect might be fixed to the fourth partition slot by it's launch code.

I'm wondering whether that would also foil the software on the MediaDirect Repair Utility CD. It wouldn't be the first time some software fell graceless when encountered with unanticipated circumstances, and the Repair Utility CD may only be programmed to work with a partition table that more closely resembles the original.

I may have overlooked something in your post, but it may just need three partitions, Windows on one, and then the MediaDirect Repair Utility CD. Or that could be a bad guess, I'm just trying to decipher the dependancies from what I've read.

GM

5 Posts

August 22nd, 2006 09:00

Hello every body!

I know the way to reinstall MediaDirect.

First, you have to require Media Direct CD from Dell (you can get it at the real distributor of Dell where you bought your laptop)

When you reinstall OS, you have to format your hard driver with onlly one partition and no format about 1.5GB at the first of driver (you can use the PQMagic to do this action)

After reinstall OS, you can reinstall the Media Direct normaly with your Media Direct CD

(If the progress stop at the 10 percent, you can review your way to devide the partition. Some time the first of hard driver is at the end when you see in the windows. At the first time because of this reason, i couldn't reinstall Media Direct. After this wrong i left the space of the hard driver at the end of disk - show on the window and i'm successful)

35 Posts

August 22nd, 2006 10:00

after what ive read (alot) If youre drive is set with factory defaults then the partition is at front of drive!
and the repair is the key! but if you use a new drive or complete format or (wipe) your drive! then you can use a partition after the xp partition! #2. so, i think i wont need the repair utility?
as for the media direct,dell quickset,media exp,sonic----etc i have all of that on cds.
I havent given up on it yet, im just taking a week off messing with it for now!
but this coming weekend, (after the lawn is mowed) im gonna try again! If it still does not work,
then heck with it! Ill use my tv for movies! besides the screen is nice n big :)
I dont even know why i care? I never use my lappy for movies anyway, but still bugs me when things dont work!
my kid uses it sometimes for movies, but she always uses powerdvd or nero showtime. and i think she uses realplayer for her music? anyway one more try and im done!
thx 4 all the input, and again if i get it to work i will post, with the news and how 2!

have a good day!

Message Edited by Justice70 on 08-22-200606:33 AM

September 24th, 2006 10:00

Hi there.

Did you manage to sort the problem at the end? I'm on the same boat, only that Dell UK don't know how to send me the Dell MediaDirect cd...

Were you able to reinstall mediadirect without reformatting? because that would be a real pain for me...

Many thanks!
No Events found!