Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

July 24th, 2009 13:00

MINI 10 - STILL NO ANTENNA WITH TV TUNER

After spending the better part of 3 days on the phone with Dell Customer Service Home, transferred to business, transferred to post delivery customer care, bounced back to tech support, I sit here with a useless built in TV tuner. The Mini 10 netbook I got a few days ago has a built in TV tuner that can only work with an external antenna (and possibly some other items, who knows??) and guess what, Dell did not include the antenna, adapters or instructions for the tuner. This is an issue that has been going on with these units since March and it still is a nightmare for us customers who thought it might be nice to watch digital TV on our new Mini 10!

I have spoken with at least 26 different Dell employees concerning this matter and none of them had a clue what I was talking about. How does this happen over an over again? I actually purchased 4 Mini 10s, only one with the built in tuner (thank GOD!) and I have returned one and the other 3 will be on their way back if Dell doesn't resolve this issue quickly. I have 3 Dell desktops, 2 Dell laptops and now the 3 Mini 10s and quite honestly, this is the last straw. Dealing with customer service has been more than a full time job trying to resolve this and I am still not convinced I will ever receive this antenna! If you are looking for a Mini with a tuner, BEWARE!

4 Operator

• 

20.1K Posts

July 24th, 2009 13:00

Read this article  

September 4th, 2009 11:00

I, like most people, had the same problem. Subsequently i got the antennae from Dell but now I can't access any channels? Has anyone else had similar problems and more importantly has anyone actually managed to watch tv on their mini 10?

September 5th, 2009 04:00

Quick update. The tv tuner actually works fine but there is a big IF. I used the supplied adapter and connected my mini 10 to main tv aerial and yes I got channels. However, the only way I could receive any channels using the supplied antennae was by was attaching the antennae to the outside of the skylight window in my attic and even then the signal was intermittant. Useless!!!!

1 Message

December 6th, 2009 18:00

I thought I'd post a note with my experience.  I just got my Dell Mini 10 last week (December 3).  I got it with the TV tuner.  It came with both an external antenna and an adapter to attach it to cable (I guess - that's what my husband said it was).  The antenna is just the cutest little thing!  I attached the antenna and pointed it in the direction AntennaWeb.org said my stations came from.  The laptop found all the available stations and they came in beautifully!  I'm sure it helps that I'm in the Minneapolis metropolitan area.  Since I otherwise watch a 20 year old TV using a converter box, I am delighted with my laptop tuner.  I was playing with the software buttons and was amazed to find out that I could rewind the TV program.  I was not expecting that.  I haven't played with it enough to see how much it records, but I'll have fun finding out.  So, so far, so good.  (But it is less than a week...).

4 Operator

• 

11.1K Posts

December 6th, 2009 19:00

Quick update. The tv tuner actually works fine but there is a big IF. I used the supplied adapter and connected my mini 10 to main tv aerial and yes I got channels. However, the only way I could receive any channels using the supplied antennae was by was attaching the antennae to the outside of the skylight window in my attic and even then the signal was intermittant. Useless!!!!

If you have the need for a main TV aerial for the TVs in your house, why would you assume that it would not be needed for the TV tuner in your laptop?????

It defies logic.

No Events found!