Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

Closed

64 Posts

September 6th, 2008 18:00

MediaDirect Button won't work after Format

Hey!

So I just reformatted my HD to install 64-Bit Vista.  Before, when I had 32-Bit Vista, I had changed the MediaDirect button (which started the Dell Media Direct program) to start the Windows Media Direct program instead.  I had changed it in the registry editor by going to:

"HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\", going into CONTROLSET001, 002, and CURRENTCONTROLSET, then to CONTROL -> MOBILEPC -> HOTSTARTBUTTONS.  I had then changed the program to "C:\Windows\ehome\ehshell.exe" which started Windows Media Center.  

When I reformated to 64-Bit, I didn't bother to install the 2.5GB Partition or Dell Media Direct.  I then went into the registry editor, did what I did above, but the Windows Media Center won't start.  I hit the button and nothing happens...

Anyone have any ideas??

3.6K Posts

September 7th, 2008 00:00

You said you use REGEDIT to make it work with media center?...Well the only way to get it back like that is to have the media direct partition on the drive to get it to work with media center.The media direct button will not work with any other app. unless its partition is installed.

3.6K Posts

When you reformat and reinsatll the OS the media direct CD has to be loaded first so it can install the partition for it.Since you did not do this,you will have to start over and load that disk first.That is the only way to get it back.

64 Posts

I don't want Dell Media Direct, or the pointless 2.5GB partition.  

Or are you saying that to use the "home" button, I HAVE to have a 2.5GB partition (which doesn't make any sense), and that there's NO way around it??  Surely there's a way to use it... I mean when I hit it, the button lights up, just nothing happens even though I've changed the registry for it.  

Message Edited by Kaaji1359 on 09-06-2008 08:39 PM

64 Posts

September 7th, 2008 01:00

Hmm... and just to clarify, the only way to make the "home" button work is to have a 2.5GB partition??  And the only way to have a 2.5GB partition is to completely erase everything on my HD??

What a waste :(  I hate having a feature that I have to look at whenever I open up my laptop and have it not work...

And there's no other loopholes to get it to work??

Message Edited by Kaaji1359 on 09-06-2008 09:10 PM

3.6K Posts

September 7th, 2008 01:00

Since you format and errased it,it has to be installed back.And the only way is to start with the media direct CD first.There is nothing installed for the home button right now,it is empty.
No Events found!