Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

May 12th, 2009 04:00

Memory slot not working in Inspiron 1300

I installed a 1 GB memory stick bought from Crucial in my Inspiron 1300 laptop to supplement the existing 512mb stick that came with the laptop. However, it seems that one of the slots does not register memory. Of the two memory slots, only the bottom slot seems to register a memory card. So when I installed the 1GB stick in the upper slot, the RAM remained at 512mb. When I swapped the cards round so the new 1GB was in the lower slot and the old 512mb stick was in the upper slot, then the RAM registered as 1GB. So it seems the upper slot is not registering sticks. I have checked and the card is definitely inserted properly. What can you suggest? Thanks Trickyf

9 Legend

• 

87.5K Posts

May 12th, 2009 05:00

The only solution to a bad memory socket is a replacement mainboard.

1 Message

February 13th, 2010 14:00

I have exactly the same problem.

I bought my 1300 on a special Dell offer, with only 256MB for £299.

Was yours the same?   Could it be that Dell shipped these with non-functioning sockets?

John

3 Posts

February 14th, 2010 03:00

Hi

Sorry but I posted that a while back. I never got to the bottom of it. I put 1GB in to add to the 500mb existing RAM but I only got 1GB (having swapped the cards round). So the socket wasn't working. I was going to try to look at the BIOS and see if that would fix it but to be honest it was going to take too much time and now I have bought an Acer netbook which is so much better. I hate Dell due to clunkiness and poor support. Anyway, good luck. Tricky

No Events found!