Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

August 30th, 2013 15:00

Metro UI not working with Vostro 3560

Recently got Dell Vostro 3560 with Windows 8 Pro from the company I am working for. It came only with Store and IE in the metro UI. Both are not working. Store closes immediately. I tried making a metro app my self for testing. But I get "This application is not supported on the current operating system version." error when I use "makeappx"

When I do WSReset, store crashes with error "Windows cannot find 'ms-windows-store:PurgeCaches'. Make sure you typed the name correctly, and then try again."

Does it mean Vostro 3560 does not support Metro UI and Metro apps?

2 Intern

• 

280 Posts

September 12th, 2013 21:00

Hi manikandan76,

You may follow the steps below to take the laptop back to factory settings i.e. day one when you purchased the laptop using Dell Backup and Recovery.

Note : This step leads to complete data loss. Advise you to backup all the important files and documents.

Dell Backup and Recovery can recover the Operating system or backup from the recovery partition. To recover the OS from the recovery partition, follow these steps (No DVD required):

1. Plug in the AC Adapter
  2. Power on the laptop
  3. Click on Power button on the bottom right hand side of the Login screen.
  4. Press and hold the Shift Key on the keyboard and click Restart.
  5. The computer will restart and you will see a screen like the one below: Click Troubleshoot

6. Click Dell Backup and Recovery icon

7. The system will restart, come back up and then once you see the screen below, click Next

8. The system will run a small test, post that you will have to click on Next again.

9. You will be prompted to select the backup to be used, click the Factory Image option and then Next

10. You will be prompted to backup your files, if needed do so by selecting the option Yes, backup my personal files (Make sure to have an external backup hard drive handy.) or select No, Erase my files

11. The system goes ahead and completes the restoration of Windows. Click Restart when prompted.

12. After you have clicked on Restart, you will then have to follow the on-screen instructions to setup the computer back into windows.

Hope this helps and fixes the app issue.

2 Intern

• 

280 Posts

August 30th, 2013 15:00

Hi manikandan76,

If your system came installed with Windows 8 then it will definitely support Windows 8. And apps are a feature of Windows 8 and should ideally work. This issue seems to be arising from some registry associated to the apps. So lets try to run the app troubleshooter and check if that helps. To run the app troubleshooter, click here .

Once you click on this link, a small file 'app.diagscab' will be downloaded, double click to run it and follow the instructions. This troubleshooter will detect problems and fix them if any. Restart your computer once and then try opening the apps.

Hope this helps.

17 Posts

August 31st, 2013 04:00

Hi

My laptop came loaded with Windows 8. It was handed over to me after joining the company domain. I ran the  'app.diagscab' it found two problems

"Display adapter driver might be out-of-date" [Detected]

Check for missing or corrupt files [Detected]

How should I solve this

Thank you,

Manikandan

17 Posts

August 31st, 2013 05:00

I don't know if this helps. Below given is the application event log after store crash

"Activation of app winstore_cw5n1h2txyewy!Windows.Store failed with error: The system cannot find the file specified. See the Microsoft-Windows-TWinUI/Operational log for additional information."

17 Posts

August 31st, 2013 05:00

Below was logged Microsoft-Windows-TWinUI/Operational log

Activation of the app winstore_cw5n1h2txyewy!Windows.Store for the Windows.Launch contract failed with error: The system cannot find the file specified..

2 Intern

• 

280 Posts

September 1st, 2013 21:00

Hi Manikandan,

Thank you for all the information. That was quite helpful.

While running the Windows App Troubleshooter, did you find any option to fix these issues that you had mentioned about the driver problem? To isolate where the problem is, could you please send me a screenshot of the Device Manager here on the forum via inserting an image option. This would be very helpful.

Also seems to me that some of the registry files of the windows have gone corrupt. Do you have any important data stored on the computer? If no, then we can restore the computer back to factory settings which would wipe out everything and re-install the windows and the applications all by itself afresh. This would help you to fix the problem that you are facing while using apps. But you would have to backup the data first and I can provide you the steps if you are okay with restoring the computer back to factory.

Awaiting for your response.

17 Posts

September 2nd, 2013 06:00

Hi,

Since this is my office laptop it is in office domain. I do not have authority to do factory reset. I should involve sys-admin. This is our first laptop with win8.

Here is the screen from the troubleshooter. How many ever times I run same is the result. It is never fixed.

Here is device manager screen

Thank You,

Mani

17 Posts

September 2nd, 2013 08:00

One more information the Metro Internet Explorer works with intranet site. I am able to connect to the share point and reports of office. But could not connect to web, while the desktop version is able to browse the internet.

2 Intern

• 

280 Posts

September 2nd, 2013 22:00

Hi Mani,

If the internet explorer is able to open websites in the desktop mode but not in the Metro UI then go to control panel and open Uninstall programs list. From the list, select the software named 'Sendori' and uninstall it. Restart the computer and your Metro UI Internet Explorer should now be able to open websites.

As far as the problem regarding apps are concerned, I would recommend to restore the computer back to factory settings after you have backed up the data. Because, it seems to me the windows files have gone corrupt, resulting in these issues with apps. You might have to get in touch with your IT guy in the office regarding this.

Hope this helps.

17 Posts

September 3rd, 2013 08:00

Hi,

I do not see a program by name Sendori listed in the "Uninstall or change a program" window.

Thank You,

Mani

2 Intern

• 

280 Posts

September 3rd, 2013 22:00

Hi Mani,

The problem is then with the operating system. I would recommend you to please backup the data on the computer and restore it to factory settings. This will fix the issue for apps and the internet explorer too.

Let me know if you need any further assistance.

17 Posts

September 4th, 2013 06:00

Hi

Spoke to my admin, he is okay to reset after I backup the data. Can you let me know the process to follow after reset to join domain and start using metro apps?

Thanks

Mani

2 Intern

• 

280 Posts

September 4th, 2013 21:00

Hi Mani,

Joining the domain is something that your IT guy can help you with. Different companies have different ways to connect to their domain. And once you are connected to the internet, your apps should automatically start working.

Appreciate your co-operation and keep me posted on the same.

17 Posts

September 5th, 2013 00:00

Hi,

After resetting I will join domain and then with a domain login itself I can browse the Store and other metro UI? or Should I link to any live account?

Thank You,

Manikandan S.

2 Intern

• 

280 Posts

September 5th, 2013 01:00

Hi Manikandan S.,

Yes if you have a valid internet connection, you will be able to use the apps. And yes, to use apps you do need a live account. You can use the same existing account if you have one that is registered with Microsoft.

No Events found!