Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

June 6th, 2011 17:00

Mic jack doesn't work e5520

Any mic plugged into the jack on my wife's new Latitude e5520 does not work. Windows 7 64-bit. The internal mic works. I've tried playing with all the recording settings: enabling the Jack Mic and disabling the internal mic. No matter what sound only records on the internal mic.

How do I get an external mic to record sound? My wife purchased this laptop for court reporting and needs good audio!

4 Operator

• 

13.6K Posts

June 7th, 2011 07:00

[Edited by jimco on 3-26-13]

3 Posts

June 9th, 2011 14:00

I've set the "Jack Mic" and the default recording device. I get no sound.

I've downloaded and installed the latest IDT audio driver. No change.

I've run the Dell mic diagnostics:

support.dell.com/.../document

No problem was found.

I run Sound Recorder and talk into the external mic and get nothing.

Is the hardware broken?

Does this computer not have an external mic jack as advertised?

I need to be able to attach an external mic or this was a wasted purchase.

2 Posts

June 27th, 2011 15:00

I have the same issue, only it just started on Saturday when I updated to the latest driver.  I am going to try rolling back to a previous driver and see if that re-enables the mic.  

2 Posts

June 27th, 2011 17:00

Ok.  This is crazy, but I now have an functional mic jack.  

1) Installed recommended driver from Dell site.  

2) Rebooted

Interim Result: No joy.  Mic Jack not working

3) Using Device Manager, Uninstalled and Deleted driver

4) Rebooted

5) Windows 7 64 automatically found hardware and updated

Final Result: Joy.  Mic works (although it needs mic boost)

1 Message

March 6th, 2013 07:00

I have a Dell inspiron 5520 and got the same problem. (mic port isn't working).

What should i do?

2 Posts

March 26th, 2013 05:00

This is my third Dell computer, and the mic situation should have been a deal breaker. I have the Dell e5520 and if I had known it had a single jack I would not have bought this. I do sound recording, and it's a nightmare to plug in a mic, record a short sample, then remove it and plug in headphones to check.  The Latitude is meant to be a professional laptop, but this really really ain't pro. It's simply idiotic. The dual input will work on Linux Ubuntu 64bit, but each time you switch between mic and headphones you have to reset the mic to line-in. The mic input system just does not work at all (so far, despite updates) on Windows 7. Simply not pro, simply an idiotic situation.

4 Operator

• 

13.6K Posts

March 26th, 2013 06:00

it's a nightmare to plug in a mic, record a short sample, then remove it and plug in headphones to check. 

I agree that it is idiotic. The combo jack is meant for use with a smart phone type of headset, the kind that has a single plug for both the headphones and inline mic as in the screen shot below. Note the 4 segmented plug that combines both devices into one:

You should be able to use an adapter cable to split out these into separate jacks and be able to use a normal mic and headphones. Below is a shot of  the Headset Buddy adapter with a 4 segmented plug and 2 jacks:

There is another Headset Buddy adapter that looks similar but is the wrong kind, in the shot below. Note the 3 segmented plug:

2 Posts

March 26th, 2013 07:00

Thanks. It's like an Apple computer now, where you need adaptors to do normal things. :(

No Events found!