Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

Closed

V

4 Posts

January 8th, 2008 23:00

Middle of the keyboard is elevated

Hello,
Recently I've purchased a XPS M1530 Notebook and noticed that there is a problem with my keyboard. The middle area in the viscinity of t,y,u,g,h,6,7,8,F6,F7,F8 keys of my keyboard is slighly elevated, thus making it look like there is something stuck under it. Any suggestions? Solutions?
Thank you!

183 Posts

January 9th, 2008 02:00

your notebook has been serviced before ? if yes , then the wireless cables is not set properly in their channels , causing the keyboard to look like that , under the keyboard you have the lcd cable , camera cable , and the wireless cables from the left and right , if any of those cables is not set properly it will cause this look.

January 11th, 2008 22:00

Thanks for your response!
No my laptop hasn't been serviced before. What can you suggest i do?

183 Posts

January 12th, 2008 06:00

use the following link to read about how you can take out your keyboard and look underneath for any calbes that may needs te be straightned

< ADMIN NOTE: Broken link has been removed from this post by Dell>

January 12th, 2008 19:00

Thanks! Do you think its possible for a professional to do that? If not i'll do it myself.

Message Edited by VinceM1530 on 01-12-2008 01:02 PM

183 Posts

January 13th, 2008 19:00

i suggest a professional to do it , this model is sensitive , and you wouldn't be happy if you got something broken.

January 14th, 2008 15:00

Any suggestions on where I should seek help? I live in Vancouver by the way. Thanks

3 Posts

May 6th, 2008 09:00

Hey Vince, I also purchased an XPSM1530 last apr28. I also noticed the same issue with my keyboard. Have you resolved it already? What did you do? Did you return it to dell or had it serviced by another or did you do it yourself?

133 Posts

May 6th, 2008 20:00

@VinceM1530 wrote:
Hello,
Recently I've purchased a XPS M1530 Notebook and noticed that there is a problem with my keyboard. The middle area in the viscinity of t,y,u,g,h,6,7,8,F6,F7,F8 keys of my keyboard is slighly elevated, thus making it look like there is something stuck under it. Any suggestions? Solutions?
Thank you!

STOP THERE. DON'T DO ANYTHING WITH YOUR LAPTOP!

Have you searched the forum for this keyboard issue with XPS1530 laptops. ALL OF THEM HAVE A BUMP IN THE MIDDLE OF THE KEYBOARD!

This issue has been noticed before and confirmed by many users. Even the picture on the Dell website shows that the keyboard has a hunch. So, don't think there is something wrong with yours. It is just the way it was designed. Of course, unless your is an extreme situation.....

Oz.

3 Posts

May 7th, 2008 07:00

Thanks for the reply Kafkar... My keyboard is really functioning properly. The bump is just very slight. It's just that I tend to stare at it since the first time I've noticed it. Could you confirm what Magedam has said that the bump is just caused by wires/cables not sorted out properly underneath?  If it is so, is there any longterm issue regarding this bump that I should be concern about if I just let it be?

I have informed already Dell Tech Support regarding this matter and they are asking already for an onsite servicing schedule since my unit is still under warranty. I have reservations/apprehensions regarding this because my system is only 1-week old, and I couldn't imagine having my brand new xps being ripped open this soon (or any brand new merchandise that i may have for that matter). I am afraid that this may lead to other unwanted complications.

I just wanted an assurance that I could leave the bump as it is without worrying for any future issues arising from this bump.

Thank you.

63 Posts

May 7th, 2008 20:00

very well said , kewl...

133 Posts

May 7th, 2008 20:00

I remembered some brave user did that. He said after dislocating keyboard and looking underneath and toying with cables, there wasn't any change. In another recent post regarding this keyboard issue (that is why I strongly suggest to search forums for an issue before posting something new), one guy suggested there is a screw long enough to cause this bump. However, as a screw it has its own function, so unscrewing it is also not suggested. So, it is just the way it is designed. If the bump is huge, the keyboard could damage the screen when you close the lid. I use the foam that came with the laptop under the lid, whenever I want to carry it around. It should help as a protective sheet. Another idea, as mentioned in a previous discussion, was to stick some plastic transparent cushions at the corners of the lid. The lid already has its own cushions, but in addition to that. This would help assuring that the lid has distance from the keyboard when closed.

So, again, messing with keyboard is not suggested.

3 Posts

May 7th, 2008 22:00

Thank you very much with your insights, Kafkar... Helped me a lot to decide that I am sticking with my system. the bulge is very slight, it doesn't really touch the lcd. won't be taking the risk of having it serviced unnecessarily. Thanks for the help!
No Events found!