Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

Closed

1 Message

October 12th, 2008 22:00

Mini 9 Space Bar

For you Mini 9 users, I was wondering if you could give me your opinion of the space bar.

On mine, you need to hit it exactly in the center, and towards the top for it to register. I'm used to hitting the space bar at the right end of it, so I find myself missing spaces a great deal.

Is mine faulty? Or are they all designed to only work when pressed in the middle.

33 Posts

October 14th, 2008 19:00

My space bar works no matter how I hit it.  I seldom hit it in center and I don't recall ever missing a space

1 Message

December 18th, 2008 11:00

I have the same problem with mine.  I barely tap it in the middle part, but the outer edges only work if I press it really hard.

I was trying to decide if I should contact support to see what they could do for me.  Now that I know at least one other person has the same issue, I definitely will.

Not that it should make a difference, but my Mini 9 has Ubuntu, not XP.

December 19th, 2008 08:00

I have a collection of Dell laptops dating back to the '90s, and I've experienced this problem with a couple of them. What I found is the problem is related to the space bar becoming partially detached from the keyboard mechanism. this is usually because the plastic clips on the spacebar key is broken, or slipped off the mating plastic piece on the mechanism. Is one part of your space bar loose or floppy? If so, you can try to gently push down on the loose end to try an get the clips to snap into the mechanism. If that doesn't work ...

I haven't taken my space bar off, but you should be able to gently lift it up with your fingertips, or by using a small plastic scribe, and separate the bar from the mechanism. Look at the clips on the bottom of the key to see if any are broken or missing. If so, you can contact Dell and see about getting a new keyboard, since it should be under warranty. I just did that with a Studio 1537 that arrived last week with a broken Control key. Dell Fed-Exed a ney keyboard immediately and it took mayby 10 minutes to install once I unpacked it.

Hope this helps. / Jim

No Events found!