Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

January 10th, 2014 15:00

Missing BIOS activation menu for enabling backlit keyboard on latitude e6420

Hi,

I bought a backlit keyboard for my latitude 6420 which was only equiped with a non backlit model at the time I got it.

When hitting Fn + >, nothing happens. I read many things on the web and it looks like we have to go into the BIOS and enable the backlit. I've been told that I should find the menu under System configuration and Keyboard Illumination but I don't have this menu...

I also had a look and the hot keys and don't have the ones related to the backlit keyboard... Looking at the Control Panel, Keyboard Properties, I don't have the Backlight tab, "Keyboard Brightness".
Does someone know how I can enable my backlit keyboard and have it detected as such?

Prior buying the backlit keyboard, I got in touch with the Dell support to make sure I can upgrade my notebook with a backlit model without facing compatibility issues. They told me that I just needed to order the backlit model as a spare part and it will work... but it doesn't...

Does somebody know how I can get the backlit keyboard working or is it just a bad luck and it will never work? thanks in advance for your help!

August 17th, 2014 19:00

Not sure if this question has been answered but, while I came here looking for the answer I accidentally figured it out on my latitude e6410, hit the function key and the right arrow, it was lumped there with the scree brightness.

3 Posts

January 20th, 2014 09:00

Is there somebody who can help me? Many thanks!

9 Legend

• 

87.5K Posts

January 20th, 2014 09:00

The backlit keyboard is usually activated using software - Dell Quickset. 

Did you plug in the second connector on the keyboard into the slot on the mainboard?

3 Posts

January 20th, 2014 13:00

Hi, Thanks for your answer. Except if I missed something, I don't have a second connector that needs to be plugged in. Here is a pic of what I have[View:~/cfs-file.ashx/__key/communityserver-discussions-components-files/3518/IMAG0862.pdf:550:0]

2 Posts

July 5th, 2016 11:00

on my latitude e6420 also works, thanks

No Events found!