Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

Closed

517 Posts

July 30th, 2006 14:00

Missing Creative file?

I have a new 6400 with the Creative integrated SB Audigy Advanced HD audio feature. Recently, I am getting a Windows alert at startup that states: "Windows cannot find C:\Program Files\Creative\Shared Files\dstsvc.exe"
Guessing that I uninstalled something related to the Creative software, I reinstalled from the Creative CD that shipped with my laptop. After a reboot, I am still getting the same message.

Any thoughts?

1 Message

February 22nd, 2007 03:00

I have an Inspiron 6400 running XP Home I picked up recently that is also missing this file.  Were you able to discover a fix? 

517 Posts

April 6th, 2007 19:00

The fix was to install Vista. :smileywink:
Sorry I cannot be of more help; at the time I was using XP and I eventually got so frustrated that I reinstalled XP, then set up a dual boot with Vista once it was released. Now I run Vista exclusively.

April 6th, 2007 19:00

I have an Inspiron E1705 that is also giving me the "Windows cannot find C:\Program Files\Creative\Shared Files\dstsvc.exe"

I have been working with the dell support people and have extensivley searched my computer for both viruses and adware.  My computer has been clean in all of these tests.  I get the error on starting up the computer and when I try yo use any feature of the sound card.

Any solutions would be greatly appreciated! 

3 Posts

August 8th, 2008 04:00

Precisely what I get but mine's on a XPS 1710.

I too have "extensively searched my computer for both viruses and adware.  My computer has been clean in all of these tests.  I get the error on starting up the computer and when I try yo use any feature of the sound card."

And if I click OK on the dialog box, my CPU rockets to 100% while some ridiculous temp file processes start trying to "Create file" (says ProcMon).

I guess the fact that this has been sitting here since 1929 means no one has figured it out. Guess you all just nuked your systems from orbit and got on with life. 

No Events found!