calnative
1 Nickel

Missing SM Bus Controller

Vostro 1520

Windows XP

I reinstalled Windows XP. In Device Manager I've got the yellow exclamation point next to "SM Bus Controller". "The drivers for this device are not installed. (Code 28)To reinstall the drivers for this device, click Reinstall Driver."

I tried to reinstall got- “driver not found”

Details tab- Hardware ID

PCI\VEN_8086&DEV-2930&SUBSYS-02BC1028REV-03

PCI\VEN_8086&DEV-2930&SUBSYS-02BC1028

PCI\VEN_8086&DEV-2930&CC-0C0500

PCI\VEN_8086&DEV-2930&CC-0C05

I downloaded and installed the Mobile chipset driver from Dell and got my video driver to finally work. Is it supposed to be on this? The only other Intel driver for Dell is an ACHI Driver(Matrix storage manager/Serial ATA driver)

I looked this up and it looks like it’s this Intel driver. Is this correct?

http://intel-r-ich9-family-smbus-controller-293.drivers.informer.com/

1.What is the best place to download it from? Several sites have multiple versions, very confusing.

2.After I download it what steps do I take to install it?

3.Do I have do the whole Dell drivers install disk in the right order procedure again, including this in it? In other words the whole reinstall?

PS

I installed the Intel Mobile chipset driver which is working and

O2 Micro OZH24 SD/MMC controller

Thank-you

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Dell-Jyotpal F
3 Silver

RE: Missing SM Bus Controller

Hi calnative,

Yes, you have downloaded the right drivers from the Dell website. And the SM BUS Controllers are a part of Chipset Drivers. So once you installed them, they were no more present in the Device Manager with the yellow exclamation mark.

In short, you did the right thing! Now, to answer your questions:

1.What is the best place to download it from? Several sites have multiple versions, very confusing.

Answer: The best place to download the drivers are from Dell Support Website itself. You will find all your computer's drivers there. All you need to do is enter your service tag number and then download all the drivers for your computer. Here is the link : http://dell.to/18NmI2D

2.After I download it what steps do I take to install it?

Answer: Just double click the downloaded file and it will self extract itself and begin the installation. Just follow the on-screen instructions.

3.Do I have do the whole Dell drivers install disk in the right order procedure again, including this in it? In other words the whole reinstall?

Answer: No you do not need to re-install all the drivers again. If everything is fine in the device manager now then every driver is in its place and working fine with the computer. Nothing to be concerned about.

Hope this helps.

Thanks & Regards,
Jyotpal F
#iworkfordell
To know more about Dell’s products, services and drivers & downloads, order & dispatch status -> choose your region USA; India. For helpful Dell Support Videos, you may click here
0 Kudos
calnative
1 Nickel

I don't quite understand you said:

"So once you installed them, they were no more present in the Device Manager with the yellow exclamation mark."

But I do have a yellow exclamation in the device manager by Bus Controller after installation. Is this ok?

0 Kudos
Dell-Jyotpal F
3 Silver

Hi calnative,

Apologies for the wrong sentence formation. I meant that once you install the Chipset Drivers, the SM BUS Controllers should also get installed automatically.

But, now since you've mentioned that you do have a yellow exclamation mark in the Device Manager by BUS Controller even after installing the drivers, then it could be that you might not have installed all the chipset drivers available. Please install all the chipset drivers available for your computer from the support website.

Once you have downloaded and installed all the chipset drivers, check the Device Manager once for any exclamation mark on the SM BUS Controller. Also have you plugged in any external peripherals to the computer like a flash drive or a hard drive?

Please reply with your findings.

Thanks & Regards,
Jyotpal F
#iworkfordell
To know more about Dell’s products, services and drivers & downloads, order & dispatch status -> choose your region USA; India. For helpful Dell Support Videos, you may click here
0 Kudos