Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

August 22nd, 2010 10:00

Model differences in Studio XPS 16

This may seem like a dumb question but I don't know what model Studio XPS 16 laptop I ordered.

I was going to swap the hard drive from my current Inspiron 1520 to the new XPS so I thought I'd download the necessary drivers for my new XPS... but I don't know what model it is.

There appears to be a 1630, 1640 1645 and a 1647 model.  What distinguishes them that I could use to determine which one I'm getting.  The build sheet gives you no clue.

For what its worth mine has:

the 2010 i5 processor

full HD screen

8 Gb RAM

and its red...

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

August 22nd, 2010 10:00

That's probably a 1647.  Check the BIOS boot screen (F2) -- it should also state the model number.

It's probably NOT a good idea to move an original drive from a 1520 ( which is, at three or more years old, likely close to the end of its useful lifespan) to a new system.

If it's a newer drive that's faster and you want to use it, that's another matter (then again, if you're trying to move a copy of Windows as installed from a 1520 to a new system, note that will not work).

8 Posts

August 22nd, 2010 11:00

It is an upgraded drive in my 1520.  Same specs as the one in the XPS 16.  500 Gb - 7200 RPM Hitachi TravelStar.

My plan was to just swap the drives, then update the drivers that the XPS needs to operate.  I have a lot of software installed on my 1520 which I don't want to (can't) reinstall onto my new XPS.  It's already running Win7 on the 1520,  installed from a retail disk.  i.e. not a Dell install disk, so the installation should be pretty generic except for the drivers that are on the 1520's HDD.  I guess I can't see why this wouldn't work if I just update the drivers.  It should be pretty simple to uninstall the old ones and install new ones in their place.  At least I think it would be...

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

August 22nd, 2010 11:00

It won't be that simple - chances are almost 100% the WIndows load will start and then simply halt with a blue screen.  The hardware is too different between the two systems.  Most often when you try this even safe mode won't work.

If you DO somehow get the install to load, it WILL trip a request for activation - and since Windows 7 is technically licensed only for the system on which it is first installed (i.e., it's a violation of the license agreement to use an activated copy of Windows on another system), it's a very open question as to whether Microsoft will even allow you to activate it once you move the drive.

No Events found!