Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

Closed

6 Posts

February 15th, 2004 01:00

Mouse problem on Dimension 4100

I have a problem with one Dell Dimension 4100, where sometimes the mouse cursor moves by itself. Here is what happened:

1. In October 2003, the person that uses this notebook complained to me that her mouse doesn't work, and sometimes the cursor can move by itself. Well, I thought, let's replace her ball mouse with an optical mouse. After I replaced her mouse with an optical one, things worked better. Please note that she always uses her docking station when she is using her notebook.

2. A few weeks after I replaced her mouse with an optical mouse, the problem occured again, and now the mouse cursor's movement is even more crazy than before, where the cursor always move very fast to the top right of the monitor.

3. I noticed this problem occurs even if she is using the internal mouse on her notebook, and if she doesn't use her docking station.

4. In January 2004, I replaced the operating system on her notebook from Windows 2K to Windows XP by doing a clean install. Problem disappeared for 3 weeks, and now the problem occurs again.

Moreover. I noticed this problem usually only occur when her notebook has been used for a while and gets a little warm.

Any idea on how to solve this problem? I'm thinking this must be a hardware issue, since the problem still occur even with different operating system.

Thanks

6 Posts

February 15th, 2004 02:00

Good suggestion. I didn't think to try disabling the touchpad, because the touchpad itself seems a little wear out. If the touchpad is indeed the problem, well the problem now is just with the Dell tech people. In fact, before I wrote this message here, I called Dell Tech support at 1-800-822-8965 asking for support, and the first thing the lady that I spoke with said, after I said the problem, and said that I install Windows XP there is asking me to revert the operating system back to Windows 2000 so that I can install and run diagnostic tool, because that notebook comes with Windows 2000, even though there is a label "Designed for Windows XP".

I guess, I need to buy one 2.5" drive, and setup Windows 2000 on it, so that I don't need to re-format the hard drive this notebook currently has, just to satisfy the level-1 tech support from Dell.

No Events found!