Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

August 28th, 2011 12:00

Much slower internet speed on my new Vostro 3450 notebook

I have 100Mbps broadband cable internet service installed at home. On my desktop computer, I
can usually achieve 90Mbps download speed with a particular internet speed test. I just received my
Dell Vostro notebook yesterday, I plugged it into SMC gateway via a physical
cable (not wireless), but it only managed to get 13Mbps for the same speed test.
At first I thought it might be related to the cable quality or specific port on
the SMC modem/router, but the same result persisted even after I connected the
notebook with the same cable and port that had been used by the
desktop.

I’m baffled by the huge difference in download speed, even
though both my desktop and laptop are equipped with 1Gbps network
cards.

TIA.

1 Message

September 29th, 2011 20:00

Hi guys,

Here's what I did on my Vostro 3450 to fix this:

http://www.intel.com/support/wireless/sb/CS-030709.htm

My machines:

- Vostro 3450 (Windows 7 64-bit, ... WiFi Intel Centrino N 1030)

- TP-Link TL-WR940N (300Mb)

Notes:

- My previous ping times went up to 4s (4000ms); after the fixes 1-2 ms

- I also removed the WiFi application and installed (only) the latest drivers 14.2.0.10 ; Although I believe this step is not really required since it started to work fine only after I did the configurations from the above link.

Best regards

1 Message

September 7th, 2011 10:00

Hi there, I've also got a Vostro 3450. Mine's Win7 SP1 64Bit using a RealTek Ethernet(PCIe GBE Family). Sadly there seems an issue with the Driver and/or .Net and/or the Win7 x64 MS system. :-(

The standard driver 7.34 was bad, recently Windows Update suggested a later one (after a week or more) - so now using 7.46

I've found very little information on Google and Dell have not been very helpful so far either! :-(

For me, the upload speed is the problem, should get 1Mb whereas I get less than 128k.  A WinXP system has no problems at all, so not the router or bandwidth.

Some people have had success using older drivers or fiddling with advanced settings on the Realtek Driver.

I'll post any solutions I find.

Cheers,

David.

No Events found!