Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

August 4th, 2015 22:00

My Dell Latitude E6420 is running extremely slow.

I recently got a used Dell Latitude E6420 from a seller who was giving it to me at an amazing value. He said that the retail price of the E6420 is around $1600 and he was giving it to me for only $300. I ended buying the computer.

Upon loading the computer I noticed that the Wi-Fi only worked for a minute and two and wouldn't turn back on. I tried to fix this but found out that because I was the second owner of the PC I didn't have full privileges, I ended up completely formatting the hard drive and upgrading to Windows 10. (from Windows 7) Once I started using the computer I noticed that everything is acting slow compared to my old computer. (I should note that it was very slow when I got the PC in the first place.) I have a HP Pavilion G6 and it was getting worn out so I decided to get this computer and found it to be slower than the older one.

Confused of the whole situation I ran some tests and found out the computer is running way slower than it should be, here are a few images:

My old computer had 950 while this one only had 879.5

CPU: 

This is the test done of my PC and here are the marks from the website of benchmarks:

If you compare the score, there is about a 4500 deficiency on my end. Which should not be happening. (Right?)

I think the big thing is the CPU that is wrong with the PC and that needs to be fixed. But I will leave scoring on the other components just for reference if needed. 

I have only installed the following products on my machine: Google Chrome, Spotify, Intel Driver Update Utility, Avira Anti-Virus, Steam, League of Legends, and Gyazo so the possibility of this being caused by a virus is pretty low.

So I guess my question is, how do I fix this problem with my computer?

5 Posts

September 3rd, 2015 20:00

Hey Rishi,

I first want to say, thank you for taking all the time that you have to reply to my problems that I have been having and as of now, all problems have been fixed. 

I first replaced the LCD screen and that problem got resolved but my computer was still slow. Next, I switched my old HDD with a new SSD as well as replacing my 4GB of ram to 8GB of ram.

After installing windows, I did another benchmark test and found that everything was running fast and new again.

So thank you again, and have a wonderful day.

5 Posts

August 9th, 2015 12:00

*Update*

I've been doing extensive testing lately and found out that simply at an idle state, the memory (RAM) of the PC was being used up to 40% almost every time it was on standby. When I started to use some applications I noticed that it would bounce up to 70% and never go further no matter how many applications I had open. Here's the deal: even though it would never go higher than 70%, I noticed when I reached that amount, my CPU speed took a massive blow in its speed and took a huge drop in performance. So I have decided to double my RAM and order some 8GB (2x4) new memory sticks off ebay and try them out on this laptop and see what will happen. 

I am making this post simply to alert everyone that a big problem with having a big CPU but not having the RAM to support it will make your entire PC lack in overall performance. I will update you on further notice when I get the new RAM and test it out. 

2K Posts

August 9th, 2015 16:00

Hi haxetros,

The system being slow could be caused by various components. We do not go by the online/offline performance evaluation to the hardware functionality.

Its great that you started out by isolating the RAM modules - which is something we would advise to test first as well.

We need to diagnose and isolate the source of the issue. So, restart the system and press f12 key on startup - choose diagnostics. Let it run a basic test and also run a extended / thorough tests on the harddrive and the RAM modules. If there is a hardware fault, it would be reported. This will help isolate any hardware failure.

If no errors are reported, then try updating the BIOS and check - http://dell.to/1zEqew5

Also, from the same link - download the service manual and see on how to reseat the RAM modules on the system - try using one RAM module at a time and see if the system works fine. And also write a detailed description if the wireless does not work after you managed to fix the system slow issue.

Keep us updated.

5 Posts

August 12th, 2015 00:00

Hey Rishi,

Thank you for taking the time to respond to this post and in such a thorough manner.

I did exactly what you said and booted up my system on diagnostics. The first (basic) test showed nothing to be wrong, but I then ran the extended test on both the hard drive and RAM and while the RAM came out with no errors there was an error with the hard drive.

I did the test twice and this was the only error that occurred.

I then rebooted my system and downloaded a BIOS update with the link that you provided with me and did another full test.

For some reason, instead of getting less errors (as expected,) I actually got one more.

On top of the hard drive error, I received a cable error:

as well as the same hard drive error as before.

As of yet, I have not tested out the final step in reseating the RAM because I am curious about these errors and if you are able to fix them. I will do it though if you see it as necessary to fix my PC.

Thank you very much for your time and consideration.

2K Posts

August 12th, 2015 01:00

Hi haxetros,

Thank you for the update.

I would suppose, you dont need to reseat the RAM modules. You could probably skip the step. If you still want to carry out anyway, you could try one RAM module at a time, run the extended test on each RAM module and send us an update.

Please run the test on the LCD and cables again and if you still get the same error, reply with the same.

As for the HDD, I believe it requires replacing. Do you have the copy of the OS to reinstall the OS on the new HDD? If the system is under warranty, then please send me the service tag of the system and your contact details and the invoice of the purchase of the system - since it has been purchased from a reseller, through a private conversation. Or you could use Twitter - @dellcarespro - for faster communication.

If under warranty, we can setup a service call and replace the parts as required. If there is no warranty, then we can help setup a paid service call. Or if you want to order the parts yourself, you could visit - http://www.parts-people.com/

For a warranty service call by us, the invoice is mandate.

Keep us updated.

5 Posts

September 1st, 2015 22:00

Edit: My warranty is void so sending the computer to you guys unfortunately isn't an option

Hey Rishi,

I may have run into another problem.

I went to turn on my computer the other day and the entire screen was black. Here's what I've done to try and fix it:

Removing battery and adapter cable, holding power button (20 seconds), attaching only cable and turning on = No response.

LCD BIST (Test) = No response.

Reseating the LCD cable = No response.

Attaching a blue VGA cord to an external monitor is the only thing that has worked so far. And running diagnostics still shows the exact same error as before.

Will I need to buy a replacement screen or LCD cable? or is this fixable without needing the additional purchase of either?

Thank you for your help.

2K Posts

September 3rd, 2015 03:00

Hi haxetros,

As said earlier, the HDD needs to be replaced for the HDD error.

As for the display, replace the LCD cable first and if it does not resolve the issue, then replace the LCD itself.

Check this link - http://bit.ly/1JOK63k

No Events found!