Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

July 25th, 2012 04:00

My Dell inspiron 1525 computer is having battery issues? I need some assistance if that is ok.

My computer is a DELL Inspiron 1525. About 3 -4 years old.

Ok I will start from the start of my problems.

First my computer froze up one day, I turned it off by pressing the power button on my laptop and when it turned back on it was at the BIOS screen (I think...a black screen with white text) it told me something about my computer not detecting the battery and me needing to plug in a AC - Adapter or something. I decided to turn off my computer and keep restarting it but everytime it kept coming up with that message. I turned it off for good after that and I turned it back on a couple of days later and my computer was in top shape..working perfectly, no message, nothing, it was back to normal.

That is until about two weeks later...it actually happened today. I turned it on and it said, 'plugged in, not charging'. I tried this tutorial http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Xf-ipP0wSY and it didn't work. I tried turning it off and back on, the error that happened last week came up but when I went back in it was just the 'plugged in, not charging' thing again. I tried using another power cord, but it still does it..so I am thinking it is something wrong with the battery, but I'd like to know what you guys and girls think too. Thanks in advance.

* The screen that came up had one spelling mistake in it: Resteat your computer instead of Restart your computer..Usually virsuses do that, but I'm hoping thats not the case, I am doing a full scan on Trend Micro Titanium Maximum security right now, but it takes forever.

4.4K Posts

July 25th, 2012 05:00

Hi  AlanaAlana,

Welcome to the Community,

Since its the same with another adapter it could be an issue with the motherboard and not the battery.

Check in BIOS (tap F2 on start up),under Device Info check  if the AC adapter is detecting normally or if it shows Unknown.Also check the Battery Health and see what it says about the battery.

Post back your finding.

Thank You

6 Posts

July 25th, 2012 19:00

Hello DELL-Roshan L

Thank you.

I did what you asked me to do and this is what came up.

In the Device Info it said AC- Adapter = Unknown device installed.

Under battery health it said The battery is performing normally.

Thank you for helping me with this. :)

6 Posts

July 25th, 2012 19:00

Hello DELL-Roshan L

Thank you.

I did what you asked me to do and this is what came up.

In the Device Info it said AC- Adapter = Unknown device installed.

Under battery health it said The battery is performing normally.

Thank you for helping me with this. :)

4.4K Posts

July 26th, 2012 04:00

Did you try both the AC adapter (in your first post you've mentioned you tried another adapter)? If both adapters are showing Unknown in BIOS than most likely its an issue with the motherboard which needs to be replaced.

And if you've not updated the BIOS try updating the BIOS from the link below :

www.dell.com/.../DriverFileFormats

Note:While updating BIOS AC adapter needs to be plugged in and Battery needs to have a minimum 50% charge.

If any one whom you know has the same system model as yours,try charging the battery on his/her system.

Thank You

6 Posts

July 30th, 2012 21:00

(So super sorry for the late reply) Hello, I tried both adapters, but I spoke to Technical Support and they told me that the error I was receiving was something to do with my adapter and the reason the other charger didn't work is because it was 90W not 65W and it wasn't a Dell charger. By the way I took a picture of the error message that comes up. Also how do I know whether my BIOS needs updating or not?

4.4K Posts

July 31st, 2012 04:00

Hi  AlanaAlana,

When you try to download the BIOS,it will tell you which version of BIOS is currently installed on the system and which version its going to be updated to.Updating BIOS is just part of trouble shooting when the AC adapter does not get detected normally.

So when you try a different adapter it has to be a Dell 65 watt adapter.Only then it will help us to find out if its an issue with your AC adapter or the system board.

Let me know once you update the BIOS and try a different Dell AC adapter.

6 Posts

August 5th, 2012 07:00

Hello!

I brought a new Dell AC - Adapter and guess what? It is working again!

4.4K Posts

August 7th, 2012 03:00

Glad it worked with the new AC adapter.

Thank you for posting back.

6 Posts

August 12th, 2012 21:00

Hello DELL-Roshan L,

I am really very sorry for the really late reply again, but you are welcome. I wanted to say thank you for your help and thank you very much for dedicating your time to me, that was really very kind of you. :)

From Alana

1 Message

February 10th, 2013 04:00

Hello Roshan,

I had same broblem with my Inspiron battery, & tried for Bios update in my system through above given link.

& it fixed the problem.

Thanks for your great advise.

Thanks

Vishal

India

No Events found!