Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

Closed

2 Posts

December 15th, 2008 11:00

My Horrible Dell Experience

Hello,

I have been a customer of Dell for over 5 years now and have ordered 2 Laptops, 1 Desktop and 1 Server from your company and have never had a problem up until now.

I ordered a Dell XPS M1330 1 year ago and ever since receiving the laptop I have nothing but problems with it.

It started with the chargers themselves failing. It took 5 chargers failing before a proper working one was sent to me.

There was then a problem where the screen would not stay up and the keyboard was not working. I had to send this back to the depot and they had to replace the screen hinges and the keyboard.

There was then a problem with the hard drive not being detected, I once again had to send this to the depot and they had to replace the motherboard.

There was then a problem where the battery would not hold a charge, after being on the phone for over an hour they decided to send me a new battery as the old one was no longer working after having barely a year of use on it.

Most recently the LCD in the laptop quit working, I had to once again send it to the depot and they had to replace the full LCD in the computer.

This computer has been sent to the depot 3-4 times now. The issues keep recurring with this computer. When the motherboard issue came up I finally got fed up with these issues and spoke with a manager, after 4 hours of getting shuffled around I spoke with a man named Angelo. He said the machine would be replaced, it never was and he went back on his word when they replaced the motherboard saying that there was nothing that he could do.

The sum it up the following have been replace on a laptop that is barely a year old:

4 Chargers
1 Battery
Screen Hinges
Keyboard
Motherboard
LCD

It is safe to say that I am extremely unsatisfied with the lack of service I have received and being outright lied to by a member of your management team who promised the computer would be replaced.

I have had many other Dell products and have never had anything close to the amount of issues as I have had with this, I believe the only issue I had was with failing RAM on my desktop which they promptly replaced. It is safe to say that my confidence in Dell is definitely shaken and I am not sure if I will be a repeat customer any further.

Regards,

Adam

7 Posts

December 18th, 2008 08:00

Wow Adam that’s really poor. I’ve had quite a few dells over the past few years and I've used them allot in business as well as personal use.

Out of 4 servers, 10 or so laptops and countless desktops I've never had problems as bad as you've had... with any manufacture. The only serious issue I've had is on a Network I used to manage that had Optiplex 270's of which the motherboards were prone to failure but this was found to be a manufacturing defect due to poor life time on some caps.

To be honest you should write a letter to Dell's head office or email customer service with dates and copies of any correspondence from Dell, explain all the trouble you've had and see what they say. With the manager going against his word on replacing your laptop I'd be inclined to say he fully intended to replace it but with the changing procedures and politics in large companies it was probably beyond his ability.

Although as a good will gesture it would be nice if they replace your laptop with a different XPS model as I personally or professionally wouldn’t be happy with the amount of early life failures you've had with such a multitude of components but posting complains on the forums probably isn’t such a good idea.

Good luck.

15 Posts

December 18th, 2008 10:00

You are not alone Adam.

Amen!

7 Posts

December 19th, 2008 12:00

Well when emailing customer services its typical to get generic replies your best bet would be to write them a formal letter of complaint and CC a copy to Traiding Standards

Mark it for attention of Offices of Chief Executive.

Head office
Dell Corporation Ltd
The Boulevard
Cain Road
RG12 1LF Bracknell, Berkshire
United Kingdom

Enclose copies of letters you have previously sent, emails, logs of phone calls etc.
In order for your complaint to grab attention from this level I suggest you make your complaints concise and put the letter together in as professional a manner as you can. Even seek help from citizens advise if your stuck for how far you can (for lack of a better word) thretten Dell into doing what you want them to do, you need to make what you want from them very clear too and that your not just writing to voice your concerns.

2 Posts

December 19th, 2008 14:00

Looks like they deleted my last post because it contained the name of a Dell employee. Maybe if they made sure things like what happened in my case were handled as well as they seem to be able to remove posts then they wouldn't get posts in the first place. So here is what I was emailed when I emailed customer service regarding the issue I was having, simply states that I need to call them and speak to technical support which I have done..dozens of times:

Dear Adam,

Thank you for contacting Dell Online Customer Care.

In regard to your concerns expressed, I apologize but this issue requires technical assistance.  Please contact our technical Support Department at 1-800-***-**** and choose option 3 for further assistance in this matter.

For future issues, please contact our online customer care center at http://support.dell.ca.

Sincerely,

No names or phone numbers there, so no reason they should be removing it.

No Events found!