Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

November 3rd, 2015 07:00

My Laptop made a screeching noise when the power supply was plugged in

Dear friends,

My Dell Inspiron N5010 started making a screeching noise today when I plugged in the power/adaptor chord to charge my laptop. The noise would stop when I unplugged it, and then start again when I re-plugged it. 

But when I am charging the laptop when it was turned off, I am not getting any screeching noise.

But the moment I turn-on the laptop the screeching noise starts again, and continues throughout the booting process, stopping only when I unplug it. 

Can anybody tell me the cause of it?

Here is the video evidence for it

https://youtu.be/3AWr7lic0pA

4 Operator

• 

3.5K Posts

November 3rd, 2015 10:00

harishkumar09,

With the age of the system if guessing, I would say the problem lies with the AC adapter and it will need to be replaced.  As a test go into the BIOS (tap F12 while starting the system and choose BIOS), have the ac adapter connected, what does the main page read about the adapter? Choose the advanced tab and select Adapter warnings and make sure that it is set to enabled, save changes and restart, when restarting do you get any messages about the adapter? If possible try another AC adapter and see if the screeching continues.

Other than that see if possible if you can determine where from the notebook is the noise coming from. Mute the system audio and see if you continue to get noise, If not plug in earphones and un mute audio and see if the screeching still comes from the integrated speakers or can you hear it in the earphones?

You may also wish to run diagnostics just to check to see if there are any problems with the notebook other than the noise.

Please let me know what you find out.

TB

November 5th, 2015 02:00

Terry B,

Thanks for the quick and prompt reply! I am impressed! I will get back to you with my results!

November 6th, 2015 00:00

As a matter of fact, this noise once or twice stopped after a 5 mins. 

However, once when I was charging after turning the system off (to avoid the noise) and then turned it on again as I had important work to do, I found the following screens appearing:

i1179.photobucket.com/.../DSC_0006_zpsiorvvxlq.jpg>

And then after about 15 mins I got the following screen

i1179.photobucket.com/.../DSC_0004_zps3z30tvwb.jpg>

to which I responded by clicking cancel.

And then I got the following screen

i1179.photobucket.com/.../DSC_0007_zpsmitj20jf.jpg>

After this I don't get the noise when I charge.

So what was the reason for the noise and how was it repaired?

4 Operator

• 

3.5K Posts

November 6th, 2015 07:00

If the problem is a bad ac adapter it could simply be that the system ran out of power and Windows didn't shut down properly.  If you haven't done yet, go ahead and run diagnostics to check if there is perhaps other hardware failures. Other than that continue to troubleshoot as I previously suggested. 

November 8th, 2015 19:00

Sure Terry B, I will do as you say. 

No Events found!