Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

Closed

17 Posts

October 28th, 2007 23:00

My M1330 Overheats Frequently

Or at least, I presume it's overheating. The screen goes blank and the computer is completely unresponsive occasionally when gaming for a while (specifically World of Warcraft). I am running XP Pro on my M1330 and using video drivers from laptopvideo2go.com. Has anyone else experienced this problem?

Community Manager

• 

54.9K Posts

October 29th, 2007 13:00

kcarter80,

What are the results of the F12 diagnostics? Did this issue occur using the validated Vista operating system?

17 Posts

October 29th, 2007 19:00

"All tests passed." in the F12 diagnostics. Not sure if this happens in Vista. I formatted the HD within about 5 minutes of receiving the computer.

45 Posts

October 30th, 2007 01:00

I've seen issues in a few 3D games that eventually result in the termination of the game with an error from vista indicating that the display driver stopped responding. If I monitor the CPU and GPU temperature it all looks quite reasonable, so it does not appear to be heat related, especially since it does not appear to get more likely as runtime increases. In most cases the video goes blank, but the cursor may remain visible, and sound often continues playing.

Do the issues you experience match that description? I personally wouldn't be surprised if the video drivers for the M1330, especially under Vista, were a bit rough, so if you're seeing issues maybe an update from NVidia will fix it in a while.

17 Posts

October 30th, 2007 21:00

My problem is a bit different: After playing World of Warcraft for a while, the screen just goes black and the computer becomes completely unresponsive. I ran some torture tests today: Prime95 and a video torture test (can't remember the name at the moment). The board temperatures never got out of control.

17 Posts

October 30th, 2007 23:00

Nope this one: http://www.laptopvideo2go.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=15367 Like I said above, I ran some torture tests today and couldn't get the computer to overheat. I'm starting to lean toward a driver issue. Do you guys have any suggestions (maybe the one you just linked me)?

Community Manager

• 

54.9K Posts

October 30th, 2007 23:00

kcarter80,

Is this the video driver you used?

3 Posts

November 6th, 2007 04:00

I also get the same problem if you happen to find the solution please share it's starting to get irritating. Thanks

13 Posts

November 11th, 2007 21:00

Hiyas im having the exact same problem wen running World Of Warcraft, all of a sudden screen goes black and no sound, numlock/capslock wornt respond, fans are still on but nothing responds, UT2004 and TF2 run fine, ive had this problem reoccur with the original dell driver, the latest dell driver, laptopvideo2go drivers and the normal nvidia drivers

please fix this dell its the only game i play except TF2 and the are 9 million wow players worldwide

6 Posts

November 12th, 2007 21:00

I'm having the exact same problem with Civ4 Beyond The Sword.  I received the laptop new 3 days ago.  I don't perceive that the machine becomes particularly hot but the CPU fan is running fast before the "crash".  The eventual symptom after 2 to 60 minutes of sitting idle (zoomed into a city view) in the game is black screen, non-responsive, fan still running fast.  I'm running Vista with the very latest drivers from the Dell website.  A solution to this is very much needed as I can get this to happen fairly easily.  I purchased this laptop mostly for work but wanted to be able to play a few games when I travel.  Very irritating that I can't use it for this purpose.  Please help.

17 Posts

November 14th, 2007 18:00

I continue to see this issue with World of Warcraft on Windows XP. What I originally thought was a driver issue now seems like a general issue with heat on this laptop. NOT GOOD.

66 Posts

November 14th, 2007 18:00

I'm having the exact same problems playing Warcraft 3 Reign of Chaos. This is an older game mind you. At random intervals the screen goes blank, and the computer is completely unresponsive. The fan remains on going at full blast.I lowered the graphic settings in the game, and it seemed to make it far less frequent. With settings at full kilt I was crashing about EVERY 20-45 min of gamepay. On medium settings I crashed about once for a 1-3 hour gaming session.

Vista Home Premium
2gb ram
Nvidia Geforce 8400M GS

1.5K Posts

November 15th, 2007 22:00

kcarter80

Have you tried uninstalling the hacked drivers you are using and installing the ones we have posted? I know they are kind of old but NVidia doesn't have any new reference drivers listed for portable cards and that tells me your probably using hacked drivers for a desktop card.

17 Posts

November 16th, 2007 00:00

Do you mean the ones that Chris M. suggested earlier in this thread? There are no certified drivers for XP for this video card.

66 Posts

November 16th, 2007 01:00

I'm using whatever drivers dell put on my laptop.

6 Posts

November 16th, 2007 01:00

I'm not running XP, I'm running Vista.  I've installed ALL the latest Dell drivers and ALL Dell driver update programs so I'm 100% compliant with Dell's software.  I continue to have this lockup problem in Civ4.  I'd really prefer not to return this computer because of it's inability to play mid-level games (Civ4) but I'm struggling with the reality that I have the fundamental inability to use this device for the primary reason I or anyone else would have likely purchased it for in the first place.  A PC should NOT lock up simply because it attempts to run a program.

DELL, is it possilble to find a solution to this with a utility that provides reduced processor frequency or an update to the BIOS or an updated graphics driver?

Please help.

Thank you.
No Events found!