Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

June 17th, 2016 00:00

My XPS 15 is is having existential problems - Service Tag mixed up

I don't know if it's a rare case but even though I'm having technical problems with my XPS, what's really giving me a headache is a strange mixup with my service tag. I just purchased a XPS 15 that has a service tag of an Inspiron 5558 sold in 2015 and I can't get any technical advise. I'm beyond frustrated with the attention that I'm getting from Dell since they can't seem to acknowledge that possibility or I just sound crazy for them. That weird and prehistoric service tag is even in my Bios so there's not a single thing in my software that I've found that says XLS 15. I'm starting to believe that I have an Inspiron inside a XPS 15 hardware; which is a lot more expensive! To think that I almost didn't buy it because I hated the Dell Inspiron that used for work (If only I had known!).

So I turn to the forums to ask fellows buyers if someone has encountered a similar problem and how to get a positive Dell response out of it.

Now if someone could help me with my technical issues for XPS 15 in the meantime, that would be awesome. My cursed XPS 15 has the following issues:

1. It takes ages to startup (1.5 minutes) which I have "solved" it by delaying NVIDIA Experience during startup. I'm mentioning it in case that has something to do with the following issues.

2. When it "wakes" up around 50 percent of the times the screen doesn't respond and I have to hard reset. While the screen is unresponsive, the keyboard lits up normally and the power light's button is on. 

3. Sometimes when I'm using the laptop, either the screen freezes up (and keyboard and power light acts normally) or the screen turns off (also with my keyboard and power light normal). In both cases it doesn't matter how long I wait since I eventually have to hard reset and lose my work.

I wouldn't be so frustrated if I hadn't be using it for work so having to hard reset it constantly is literally a heavy weight in my workload.

Thank you in advance and sorry for my english; it's not my native language. Have a nice day and I'm sorry to see you here since I suppose that you're struggling with your Dell as well.

2K Posts

June 18th, 2016 10:00

Hi LYLABERENICE,

Regarding the issues:

What is the exact system model? Are there any bluescreens / system crashes? When the system is put to sleep and does not wake up, does this happen on Auto Sleep or Manual Sleep mode? When the system freezes and you would need to manually power off the system - how long would it take to freeze from the time you have turned on the system? What applications are you using when the system freezes? What is the current OS installed on the system? Do the shutdown and restart options work fine?

Update the BIOS - http://dell.to/1n3X2po - enter the service tag and download the BIOS, update and restart the machine and check.

Reinstall the video drivers from the vendor site - for Intel - downloadcenter.intel.com and for nvidia - http://www.geforce.com/ 

Create a local admin account and check - http://bit.ly/1JoFhcw - for Win10 OS.

For the Service Tag Issue:

Write me a private conversation with the service tag and your contact details(Name and Email) for case records. Also, kindly attach a copy of the original invoice. Based on that, we could confirm the ownership of the system and help update the right service tag.

Keep us updated.

June 18th, 2016 11:00

I'm trying to send you a private message but I keep getting this message: 

Sorry, there was a problem with your last request!

Either the site is offline or an unhandled error occurred. We apologize and have logged the error.
Please try your request again or if you know who your site administrator is let them know too.

June 19th, 2016 04:00

My service tag has no information available, which I though was solved yesterday. I installed the video drivers' updates and the BIOS with no difference. Neither of my problems are been solved by technical support and the diagnostics page in Dell is not even loading anymore.

I tried to give it a chance but I'm seeing that people had the same problem since january and there's no official solution --if there's one anyway.

Concerning your recommendations, I don't know what is the local admin account and what I should check, so that's the one thing that I didn't do.

I already filed a request to return this computer since it just keeps giving me problems from day zero: the loading time was around 1.5 minutes that I had to delay NVIDIA Experience and it kept waking up while "asleep" which overheated my laptop and drained its battery. That in addition to the constant freezing or turning off the screen that needs to hard reset every time, which I already explained. I've never encountered so many problems in a new computer, I'm disappointed with my first acquisition of Dell.

2K Posts

June 19th, 2016 07:00

Hi LYLABERENICE,

We probably might have had site lag issue. 

Please try sending me a private message again. Try Google Chrome browser if required. If it does not work, then click on my name and send me an email with the requested info.

2K Posts

June 19th, 2016 19:00

Hi LYLABERENICE,

Rather unfortunate that you had to face issues on a new machine.

We always have a solution whether it is via this forum or by collecting a system to our service depot and fixing it.

Thank you for the update and letting us know that you have raised a return request.

Should you need any help / info, write me a private message with the service tag or order# and your contact details.

No Events found!