Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

June 17th, 2016 04:00

My laptop doesn't recognize my hard disc anymore and keep rebooting

Hello

My pc used to lag sometimes when I incert my external hard drive , I suspected that it could be problem with windows or the laptop hard drive itself

So I wrote down this code in the command prompt to check for drive errors and bad sector ( not the C , I tested D: )

Chkdsk/ /r /f D: /x , where /X means force dismount if necessary

After 8h+ I wake up and check it out it was in stage 4 working but then this error happened and stopped ( check the link )

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B6UHW2BjipjPZlJ4M3hvZFExTmM/view?usp=docslist_api

Since then the laptop keep restarting and doesn't recognize the hard drive anymore

I suspect that it could be because system error cased it to force dismount but then since it crashed it didnt do it properly ,

So what I can do now ? My laptop doesn't recognize my hard drive at all but I have a Bootable usb and it sees it with the correct size

Please help , thanks

10 Posts

June 17th, 2016 05:00

Jesus , but I need the data on it so badly !!

How can I make a backup of it in this case ?

Or could it be just system file problem with the drive that can be fixedn?

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

Sounds like the drive is failing or has failed.  Power on, press f12 several times until a boot menu appears and enter the Dell diagnostics.  Run an extended test on the drive -- if you receive an error such as 2000-0142, etc., the drive has failed.  If you need help selecting a replacement drive, we'll need to know the system model information (i.e., Inspiron 5730, N5110, etc.).

10 Posts

Yes I get that error from the bios 3e as well , but I need help to backup my data please!

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

Mount the drive in an external 2.5" USB enclosure, attach it to a working system and see what you can read.

If you can read the drive that way, copy the data to the working system's hard drive.

If you cannot, you'll need to weigh the value of the data on the drive against the cost of data recovery -- there are forensic recovery services that can read data from even the most damaged of drives, but the cost starts around $600 and can rapidly escalate to the four-digit zone depending on what's needed to recover your data.

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

June 17th, 2016 06:00

First decision to make:

Is the data valuable enough to warrant the cost of data recovery?  Realize that anything you do from now on will only reduce the chances of a successful recovery.

If you can afford to lose the data and want to chance a home recovery, there are software packages you can try to see if they'll recover - Recuva is a free general use one.  There are other professional tools you can try such as Ontrack's Easy Recovery (free to try, but to use you must buy it).

10 Posts

June 17th, 2016 06:00

I used hiren boot 15.1 and I managed to loginto OS partedmagic and I can see the drive it says

500gb / 465 gib CHS 60801 255 63 , ATA ST9500325AS , that's the model and it's name I think but I cant see any files and I can't open it , I do have an external drive 1t which can backup the whole HD twice but I need to get into it , is there is any software or program that u recommend?

No Events found!