Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

N

August 13th, 2017 21:00

My laptop freezes and the only way to do anything is by hitting the manual power button. Help!

My laptop did this twice to me today. It froze whilst I was going about my business, once watching a video and the other time reading a pdf article for my school assignment.

When it freezes, everything is unresponsive. I cannot move my cursor via mouse or trackpad, and keyboard shortcuts do not work (like to open task manager or simply ctrl+alt+delete). It also makes an ear-shattering buzzing sound as it freezes when on a video.

The only way I can do anything is hitting the power button. It then takes me to a blue Recovery screen, where nothing helps me. I restart my PC and it is significantly slower this way than when it normally starts up.

I have a Dell Inspiron 13-5368, and I've already checked to make sure Windows 10 is up to date. So I'm not sure why there should be such a problem. My antivirus has also not caught anything.

By the way the computer reacts, I'm not sure if there's maybe an issue with a random driver? Or something wrong with my hardware? 

Also, sorry if I'm posting in the wrong part of the forum!

4 Operator

• 

6.4K Posts

August 14th, 2017 06:00

:emotion-2:

Please run diagnostic tool to check hardware on the system by following steps below:

1. Power off system. Remove all peripherals except AC adapter.

2. Power on system, quickly start tapping F12 key continuously until you see Preparing one time boot menu in the top right corner of the screen. In the boot menu, stroll down to Diagnostic and then click on it. After quick tests, click on Hard drive and then Thorough Test Mode. Run Memory and Video Card as well .Report back any error code.

No Events found!