Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

March 17th, 2012 13:00

My new XPS 15 Z Battery not charging

Dear All

When I plugged in my adapter to charge my laptop, it didn't respond to it. The light on the adapter is on, but the battery just wont charge.

I changed the AC adapter as a Hardware problem, but I couldn't change the battery because it is built-in.

On the other side of problem - I mean as a Software problem :

1. I tried to restore the system -from Backup and Restore -  till the first point but nothing happened except it restored the first password . . !

2. I tried to make a restore from Dell DataSafe local Backup, but the system said the adapter and the battery must both plugged where the adapter doesn't respond at all.

3. I tried with Ubuntu Operating System (Linux), when I thought that problem Might be from Windows 7.

4. I upgraded the BIOS drive.

5.. I set the BIOS setting to the default - F2

I bought this laptop on 20th of January 2012 from Saudi Arabia- Jarir Bookshop your authorized partner and now I'm in Yemen. 

Notice : When I plugs the AC Adapter the percentage never reduce, but the hours remaining changes, exactly shows (829 hr and 48 min (20%) remaining).

First of all I thought my problem is the first one, but I found an old post from cunche on 02-24-2012 4:52 PM

on this link :

http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/laptop/f/3518/p/19438276/20059507.aspx#20059507

So Could Dell or anybody help me on this strange problem as soon as possible . . . ?

Many thanks . . .

For Dell Community and any one try to help.

9 Legend

• 

87.5K Posts

March 17th, 2012 16:00

That's the problem - the system doesn't sense the AC adapter, so the battery will never charge.

If you've already tried a new Dell adapter, and the problem persists, the system needs an internal repair - replacement power jack or a replacement mainboard.

9 Legend

• 

87.5K Posts

March 17th, 2012 13:00

First question:  Does the system recognize the AC adapter, or is it listed as "unknown"?  F2 at powerup to get into the BIOS setup to check.

March 17th, 2012 14:00

Thank you so much for trying help.

I noticed the following:

in the Main tab

AC Adapter Type      None

in the Advanced tab

Charger Behavior     Enable

March 17th, 2012 14:00

First of all thank you for trying help ejn63.

I'm sorry but could you ,please, explain more. because I didn't understand your Question.

9 Legend

• 

87.5K Posts

it will depend on your reseller - unless you bought it from Dell.  It'll most likely be repaired.

Thanks for your help "ejn63", I'm really appreciate your effort to help others not just me.

So there is no way except to open it, so I have to give it back to seller I still have around 10 months warranty.

Do you think Dell Tech Support will give me new one or they will fix the problem . . . ?

Thanks a lot again  ejn63 . . .

Yes it is from Dell . . .

9 Legend

• 

87.5K Posts

"I bought this laptop on 20th of January 2012 from Saudi Arabia- Jarir Bookshop your authorized partner and now I'm in Yemen. "

This indicates  you bought it other than from Dell - you'll need to contact the seller.

March 18th, 2012 11:00

Thank you so much "ejn63".

15 Posts

April 25th, 2013 15:00

Sorry for jumping into this old post. But I do have exactly the same issue. My wanrrenty has just finished and I am standing nowhere what to do with this piece of ***. I have upgraded its hard disk to ssd and ram to 16GM, Ultimately casting 1200 uk pounds. If it a motherboard replacement, how can I buy the motherboard.

No Events found!